Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7440 Discussions

internet doesnt work on 5ghz anymore ac8265

DapperDave
Beginner

Initially when I started noticing the issue, I would start up my computer and it would connect to the 5ghz channel, but it would take some putzing around to actually connect to the internet. Now it connects to the 5ghz channel, but won't connect to the internet at all. I have to use the 2.4 channel now. It's definitely not a router issue because I've tried 2 different routers, and the other devices on the network have no issue with the 5ghz. Any tips on fixing this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

DapperDave,

You didn't describe much about the wireless network, or the OS you are using. I will go on the premise that the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless each have their own SSID, and that you are running Windows 10. Some routers and access points permit both bands to share the same name.

The simplest thing will be to have Windows forget the 5 GHz wireless, and then have you reconnect. I would temporarily turn off the wireless. Then go to Settings, Network & Internet, select Wi-Fi from the left column, and then Manage known networks. From the list of wireless networks shown, click on the 5 GHz network, and choose Forget. Then have the PC turn on wireless, and try reconnecting to the 5 GHz wireless.

0 Kudos
DapperDave
Beginner
You were correct in your assumption about windows 10. I tried what you suggested and it still doesn't work. Like I said I can connect to the 5ghz channel, but it says no internet. Thanks for the suggestion. Anything else I could try?
0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

DapperDave,

Before I begin offering suggestions on adjustments to the PC network settings, I'd like to get some info on the PC or laptop. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility. The SSU collects detailed hardware and OS information, but nothing that is personally identifiable. When you run the SSU, leave the default settings and click Scan, then click Next, and finally save the results as a file. Then reply back and attach the file.

The SSU can be found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

0 Kudos