Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

slow Wi-fi speed AX211 when running on battery

mac2vd
Beginner

Running on Windows 11 on HP's Envy 16. I am using the Intel 6e Ax211 Wi-fi adapter, when running on battery alone, I get horrible Wi-Fi speed. around 125mbps, when I plug in the ac power supply, I am getting around 750mbps. This is definitely a power management issue. On Intel's Support website, it recommends not to modify or change any of the default wireless power settings or it might cause issues. Are there any settings that can be made to obtain a Wi-Fi speed that should be in a range of 500+mbps? I have spent hours working with HP, Microsoft, and Intel, with no improvement. I do have all of the drivers updated to the latest versions and HP has upgraded the Bios 3 times in the last 6 weeks. When I received this laptop, it was getting 2mbps - 7mbps Wi-Fi speeds while running on battery. The bios and Wi-Fi updates did improve the initial problems, but not nearly where it should be.   

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello mac2vd,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your wireless adapter. I'll be glad to assist you with that.

Please perform the following steps:

As well, if you modify the On battery power configuration for the wireless adapter in Windows settings, does the same issue happen?

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html

Latest wireless drivers (22.180.0): https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
mac2vd
Beginner

Thank you, Steven

All of the above suggestions have been done by myself and technicians from HP and Intel. The latest technician from Intel stated that since it works flawlessly when connected to the AC adapter, the problem lies either with Windows or HP and suggested having them look further into the matter. I do have an online appointment with an HP SmartFriend Case manager this coming Monday. Hopefully, the technician will have the knowledge/ability in finding and correcting this issue. I will repost the results of the session here.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

I will be waiting for your update on this matter.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
mac2vd
Beginner

Good evening Steven,

Thank you for following up on this issue with me.

I spent 4.5 hours with HP software support today and with no positive results. I need a higher level of technical support. I am returning this laptop to Costco tomorrow before the 90 day return policy expires. Because I like this laptop build, I ordered an exact replacement with I will be receiving Wednesday. I expect the same issues with this lap as I have had on the first two, but I get a renewed 90 day return policy again. 

I did notice, one day prior to my time with HP support, When a new driver update was available for the Arc A370m and Intel xe graphics cards, after downloading and installing the updates, I saw about a 10% drop in the already slow wi-fi speed while running on battery. With spending days upon days working with techs from all three companies, HP, Intel, Microsoft, serious power management issues exist with this build. Could it be Arc in its early stages causing this? I am willing to work with HP and Intel, Microsoft, giving all parties time to address and come up with a solution to this problem. I will have 90 mores days, from this Wednesday... I do expect this laptop will have the same issues as the first two. 

I also noticed, after HP updated the bios, 07 to 08, the wi-fi speed on battery went from 2 - 10mbps to 100 -115mbps.

I plan on following up with the development in regards to this problem with the PC build.

Thank you,

mac2vd 

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

Since this seems to be an issue with the device itself, our best recommendation is to report this to the laptop manufacturer for further investigation, considering the replacements you have received have the same issue.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos