Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Can vtune analyze the performance of a system?

Chen_Chen
Beginner
Hi~

I begin to learn vtune these days and find that if someone wants to run vtune for performance analysis, he should provide the executable file of the program and the benchmark or data file for vtune.
But if someone wants to analyze a system's performance, maybe the executable file doesn't exist in the system, so how to analyze the performance of the system with the help of vtune?
Thanks~
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
VTune Performance Analyzer is system wide performance data collector/analyzer.It means to monitor all active programs in system (includingall activeapplications, device drivers, system modules).

The user can run samplingdata collectionwithout launching anyapplication (or manually launchanyapplication during data collecting period).

Therewill bea processes reportto be generated after data collecting.The user can select single processor multipleprocessesto review summary data (e.g. CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE event count), to know CPU time consumption on theseprocesses.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Chen_Chen
Beginner
Thank you,Paul~
The system I want to analyze is not just a C program, there are some source codes and other files in it, what's more, there isn't a executable file created while the system is running, so it's there a way to improve the performance with the help of Vtune?
I have been confused by it for some days but can not figure it out.
Is there a way to solve it?
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

If some code without executable file ran in the system during sampling data collecting, VTune Analyzer still can display ALL performance data in Processes Report. However relevant samples drop in the process named OTHER32 or OTHER64. Please see article http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/vtunet-analyzer-other32-module-solutions/to know more.

Does it help?

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
Chen_Chen
Beginner
Thanks,Peter~
I am afraid it does not help me a lot, for the reason that the system I am going to analyze can not be sampled by VTune. The system is working in Linux and I don't have any idea to have it loaded in the VTune.
0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Chen,

let me go back a little bit. What exactly do you want to make faster? We need a clearer description than "the system" in order to understand what you are trying to achieve.

Normally, you have a computer running an operating system and you want to use this system to achieve "something". "Something" might be "decode a video", "search text document for a phrase", or "compute a raytracing image". In order to do this, you needone or severalexecutables.

VTune is a tool that gives you hints what needs to be changed to makeyourcode run faster. If you are notdeveloping an application, VTune is most likely not what you are looking for.

Kind regards
Thomas
0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Chen,

let me go back a little bit. What exactly do you want to make faster? We need a clearer description than "the system" in order to understand what you are trying to achieve.

Normally, you have a computer running an operating system and you want to use this system to achieve "something". "Something" might be "decode a video", "search text document for a phrase", or "compute a raytracing image". In order to do this, you needone or severalexecutables.

VTune is a tool that gives you hints what needs to be changed to makeyourcode run faster. If you are notdeveloping an application, VTune is most likely not what you are looking for.

Kind regards
Thomas
0 Kudos