Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Hot spot analysis about video coding

fei__xing_h
Beginner

Hi,I am using vtune amplifier to analyze coding efficiency about video encoding. I found the most consuming code is arithmetic coding module. In “Caller/Callee” tab, I double click the function of the core arithmetic coding which is called frequently, the time consuming of this function is showed. My question is, when the most time consuming code line is the function name line, what’s the meaning?vtune-arithmetic-intel.jpg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Usually it was due to compiler's issue...compiler will generate optimized code sequence for performance consideration, that didn't match original source code's order. You can click on one source line then click "Assembly" button in source view of VTune, it will display assembly code for corresponding source line.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You may need options such as /debug:inline-debug-info

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

As @Peter said you should look at corresponding disassembled code of encoding function. Regarding the most time consumption line of code maybe it could accumulated wait time for the resources.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Regarding the most time consumption line of code maybe it could accumulated wait time for the resources.>>>

@coolfat

You can check it by looking at Front-End stalls.

0 Kudos