Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Vtune - CPU SPEC2006

Anonymous18
Beginner

Hello.

I run SPECCPU2006 for both INT and FP programs with the following command:

runspec --config=mytest.cfg int -I 

runspec --config=mytest.cfg fp -I

Now I want to use vtuneee for analyze each executable.

But when I select an executable and run the option "General exploration", keep running the analysis for more than 3 hours.

Would I need to select any input parameter when I analyze my executable?

And where would place the default input parameters I use SPEC?

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Danny:

Can you clarify a couple of things?

"elect an executable and run the option General exploration" - are you specifying a "target type" of "Launch Application" in GUI or are you specifying it on the command line after "--"?  Can you show us how you are configuring it?

"keep running the analysis for more than 3 hours" - are you saying the application, "runspec" continues to run or does it complete and VTune Amplifier goes into the "finalization" stage and continues running for 3 hours?

Also, what OS are you on and what processor?

0 Kudos
Anonymous18
Beginner

Hi.

Sorry for my english. I speak spanish and my english is basic.

I try again explain you again and in more detail what I try to do.

1) I run SPEC CPU2006, I used commands:

runspec --config=mytest.cfg int -I 

runspec --config=mytest.cfg fp -I 

2) Now I want to use Vtune for analyze the results how:

- CPU2006 Instruction profile (load, store, branch, other)

- Static code size

- Runtime

- L1 D cache miss

- L2 cache miss

- Branch miss

I do something similar to this paper from page 5 (http://www.ece.lsu.edu/lpeng/papers/isast08.pdf)

3) I already have the executables generated by SPEC, but i dont know exactly like using VTune and get those results.

4) Here is a ScreenShot that vTune in my pc.

Screenshot from 2014-05-17 18:37:22.png

5) my pc has the following characteristics

root@dlachosper:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 6

model : 15

model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6400  @ 2.13GHz

stepping : 6

microcode : 0x44

cpu MHz : 1867.000

cache size : 2048 KB

physical id : 0

siblings : 2

core id : 0

cpu cores : 2

apicid : 0

initial apicid : 0

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 10

wp : yes

bogomips : 4255.77

clflush size : 64

cache_alignment : 64

address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management:

Thank you

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Yes, so you should specify "runspec" as the Application and "--config=mytest.cfg int -I " as the Application parameters.

Also, instead of General Exploration, on the Core(TM)2 processor you *can* create a custom analysis type and just collect the events of interest, e.g., L1D cache miss.  See the help for "Custom Analysis - New Hardware Event-based Sampling Analysis" for details.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

BTW, how long does the app usually run (outside of VTune Amplifier)?  Make sure you set the "Duration time estimate" in the project properties appropriately.

0 Kudos
Caesar
Beginner

Hi,

usually when I profile SPEC programs I do not create a project using the runspec program. Note that "runspec" is just an utility to help you start/stop benchmarks. Instead I create VTune projects referencing directly the benchmark executables.

Roughly speaking the steps are:

1) Build the benchmark using the runspec utility. runspect --action=built... bench1

2) Check the executable path and its input parameters listed at the end of the file bench1/run/run_.../speccmds.cmd

3) Create a VTune project using the infos obtained in step 2.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

okay, but I don't see any "parameters" in the VTune Amplifier configuration dialog.  Please tell me what you are entering for Application and Application parameters.

Also, as I said, please review the product documentation for information about configuring a Custom Analysis, or use General Exploration and then switch the Viewpoint to Hardware Event Counts to examine the individual events.

0 Kudos