Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

how to terminate application before beginning next sampling run

TimP
Honored Contributor III
Not a new problem, but I thought that rdc should be able to terminate the application when it finishes sampling. Now there are so many more types of samples to collect, it takes over an hour to complete multiple sampling runs, and it's difficult to arrange the application to terminate on its own shortly after sampling ends and Vtune starts a new copy of the application.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Is the sampling collector configured to terminate the application upon completion of the activity?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Dave,

Yes, I leave the terminate on completion box checked, but I don't know what effect it should have; I've never noticed it to do anything. I have to watch the remote application and kill each instance when the next one starts. It has always been this way, so I guess I shouldn't mention it.

I'm still trying to figure out whether I should be running remote collector, if so, should I use Windows2000 or XP. If not, should it be done with vtl and vnc, neither of which I'm familiar with. Hard to believe after spending so much time with Vtune that it still doesn't become routine.
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
Hey Tim,
This is the VTune for Linux beta forum, version 3.0. Is your question about this software, or, VTune 7.2 beta?
(On the Linux side, you can use the ActivityController to stop sampling activities.)
jdg
0 Kudos