Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

vtune abort my application

valipp
Beginner
I am trying to use vtune on an application compile with mwing.

when run in cmd.exe it's OK, when running in vtune, vtune abort the application with no error messages !

what can I do ?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Do you mean mingw32? VTune isn't designed to work with Windows gcc/g++. I did once try running it against a cygwin built application; it was able to view asm for some distance from the start of several functions. You must build everything with -g, and preferably static link against Microsoft debug libraries.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Actually, there is a topic in the online help titled "GNU* C/C++ Compiler for the Microsoft* Windows* Operating System." The analyzer will support binaries built with that compiler.
You probably have some other issue causing the problem. Are you trying to us sampling or call graph?
0 Kudos
valipp
Beginner
well, I successfully use vtune in a sample app compile with mwing32 (msys), but my real app seems to broke vtune !

I have compile my app with -g, I did'nt use callgraph.

thanks
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Ah... The default configuration for sampling sets a "duration" of 20 seconds. When the activity reaches this duration, the activity is stopped and any application that the VTune analyzer launched is terminated. You can change the analyzer's behavior in two ways:
  1. set the duration to zero (0 = forever) or to a sufficiently long value.
  2. after creating the activity, modify it (right-click in Tuning Browser and select Modify Activity...) and Configure the sampling collector and uncheck the Terminate application when Activity ends check box on the General tab.
0 Kudos