Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

How to disable LAN-Port Led's (I219-V) like the raspberry-pi do easily

loveLinx
Beginner

I replaced my raspberry-pi 4 with a much more powerful Intel system some time ago. The computing power is great but since the device acting as NAS and Zigbee central is in the bedroom, any LEDs are annoying.

So the solution would be to simply turn them off, as I did with the Raspberry Pi earlier. Just this line would be enough:

echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/led1/brightness

With regret, however, I must note that there is apparently no software solution for this on the part of Intel.

Built in is a:

Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V

I am running a debian based linux system on the new Intel device.

Can anyone help me or at least tell me the right people to write to, so I don't have to unsolder the LEDs as you can see here:

linustechtips - Turning off motherboard Ethernet LED 

I found this crazy tutorial for another LAN chipset but honestly have little desire to compile and install Intel kernel modules and then use ethtool to flash data to the NVM:
https://pwmon.org/p/1900/quest-disable-lan-leds-intel-nuc/ 

Almost 10 years ago, on 2011-06-20, a certain "Bruce Allan" mentioned the following as a decision on this at Sourceforge:

I'm sorry, but this feature request was evaluated and denied because the majority of our customers require the LEDs to function as-is, and module parameters of this type are unacceptable.

Is this still up to date. Many users out there use their system as a 24/7 device and would like to be able to turn off the LEDs.

Thanks a lot and stay healthy.

Your loveLinx

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello loveLinx,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to proceed checking your request, please share the exact model of your unit when you mentioned 'new intel device'?

Looking forward to your reply.

In case we don't receive your reply, we will reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
loveLinx
Beginner
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello loveLinx,

Thank you for the swift response.

While we are checking this concern internally, will you be able to raise this concern to ASRock as well as the Ethernet controller is embedded on ASRock system. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can also get in touch with you manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

Rest assured that we will get back to you within 3 business days for our update and to follow up if you heard from ASRock support.

Awaiting to hear an update from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello loveLinx,

Apologies for the delay.

Since your query involves modifying an embedded LAN LED which is part of the LAN functionality, please be informed that this will be best answered by our Embedded Connectivity Support team. We will help you to move this post to the designated team for further assistance. Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

May you have a good weekend!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @loveLinx:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We can provide general information on the Intel devices that are used on third-party designs that should be validated by their manufacturers.

You should find the information that may help you in sections 9.5.2.22, 9.5.2.23, and 9.5.2.24; on pages 111, 112, and 113 of the Intel® Ethernet Connection I219 Datasheet document # 544486. You can find it when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account on the following website:

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/544486

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request or report any inconveniences with the provided website. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

We suggest you use a business email address to evade any inconvenience. Please avoid the free email provider's address (such as the provided by Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, or others).

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos