Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Laptop sleep/idle issues

FSood
Beginner

I have a new Dell E5540 laptop with intel i218-lm network adapter which I normally leave connected to the network. Whenever the laptop goes idle for a long time, I cannot access the network (IE cannot connect to any websites including intranet sites, Outlook cannot connect to O365 etc.). Same issue for both wired and wireless. I've updated the nic drivers and make every possible changes to prevent the laptop from hibernating/sleep. To get this machine going again, I have to log off my profile and log on again. Very annoying!! I'm not sure why this action wakes up the network but it does. Any ideas how I can fix this once and for all aside from dumping it in the garbage?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VincentT_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Totallycool24, can you try to tweak the power management option found in your i218-lm network adapter on device manager. uncheck the "allow the computer the turn off this device to save power". hope this help.

0 Kudos
FSood
Beginner

The options I have in Power Management are:

Power Saver Options:

• Respond to ARP requests without waking system - checked
  • Respond to NS requests without waking system - checked
  • Reduce Link speed during battery operation - not checked
  • Energy Efficient Ethernet - not checked
  • Reduce link speed during system idle - not checked
  • Reduce link speed during standby - not checked

Wake on LAN:

• Wake on Magic Packet - checked
  • Wake on Pattern Match - checked
  • Wake on Magic Packet from power off state - checked
0 Kudos
VincentT_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Totallycool24, the "power management" is beside the "Resources" tab when you open up the properties of your network adapter.

0 Kudos