Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

Too many packet losses on X710 peer to peer networking?

ORubi1
Beginner

We have an intel x710 T4 anf the version of QSFP+.

A main computer is connected to 8 edge computers directly, NIC to NIC, in a star Setup.

Each connection is 10Gbs with the two intel X710 Nics.

One is copper, the other fiber.

The issue I am having is that I am getting too many packet losses in a UDP communication.

I tested with iPerf and my own software, and I am getting too many packet loss. More than 3% in a 1Gbs target bandwidth test.

However, one of the 8 computers is able to perform with very little packet losses.

It is one of the fiber computers, and it also happen to have a different NIC on it's side.

The other 3 fibers are Mellanox Connect 3 Pro.

The 4 copper NICs are Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X550-T2 connected to only one of the two ports.

I cannot find and significant difference in the setup of the NICs.

What could possible cause 7 out of 8 NICs to drop so many packets?

This is even when communicating one on one, not all 8 together.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ORubi1,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Kindly provide the following details that would help us in checking your query.

1.) PBA number of the adapter. It consists of 6-digit number located at the last part of the serial number. Please refer to the link below on where to find the PBA of the adapter.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

2.) What is/are the cable type used?

3.) Operating system/s used.

4.) Please share the steps done for the testing.

We look forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ORubi1,

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to check on your request. Just in case you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Awaiting to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ORubi1
Beginner

X710 T4 PBA is J31241-006

Cable type is Cat7

OS is Windows 10 Pro. Version 1903

I have either tested this with iPerf or with our own software.

In our own software we have one connectionless socket(using winsock2). We send from the client(the computer with the x710) to the server(the edge computer) packets with a known ip so the server can get the ip of the client.

After that we start sending from the server to the client packets, either Jumbo frames(9014) or default pacekts(1500) in separate tests.

For each packet we add the packet number, we then compare the packet number to the number of packets we counted we received and this is how we know how many packets didn't arrive their destination.

This happens with either 1500 packets or Jumbo frames, although the Jumbo frames have more severe packet loss.

We think there shouldn't be almost any packet loss with either normal or Jumbo frames.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ORubi1,

Thank you for providing the requested information and allow us to check on this. Rest assured that we will be providing an update within 1-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ORubi1,

Good day!

Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your system details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. 

You've mentioned that the OS used is Windows 10 1903, please be informed that X710-T4 is not supported on Windows 10. You might to check it thru the link below.

Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ORubi1,

How are you today?

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to continue to check on your query. Just in case you have additional questions on this request, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello ORubi1,

How are you today?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups.  Should you have any other concerns or assistance needed in the future, please do not hesitate to post a new question.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos