Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

Wake on Lan not working on driver higher than 1.0.1.4 for Intel l225-V

solemgar
Novice

Hello all!

I have a B-550F Asus ROG gaming motherboard with an Intel l225-V. With driver 1.0.1.4 from manufacturer wake on lan works fine. If I upgrade to the manufacturer version 1.0.2.8 WOL stops to work. Exactly same settings on the BIOS, no change. The same happens upgrading to the latest driver available in the intel page for this adapter (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/184676/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I225-V, 26.3).

Has anyone experienced this issue?

0 Kudos
136 Replies
andrescm
Novice

Personally I don't think it's UEFI/BIOS related, else we would all be chatting in an Asus forum instead

0 Kudos
C128
New Contributor I

I'm not sure that computes on the forum.. I'm here because the i225-v has been plagued with problems so I thought this was the best place to start.

Tap77 in this thread was in a test group involving Intel and Asus with an attempted fix in BIOS. The test group confirmed it fixed it and they're going to deploy it with no ETA. 

Both Intel and Asus kind of brush off these types of support requests, but Intel has been very gracious to allow us to track the issue here because it is a real one, reproducible for many users. 

0 Kudos
C128
New Contributor I

To check your revision-

hqiCUv_VkymDXBvVlBkjGE1k0Cg2AYIVj0HGo8CESZQ.jpg

0 Kudos
Jotaka
Beginner

Hi-

I have  the same issue:
   Mobo Z-590-PLUS,
   BIOS 1203, 
   Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V 1.0.2.14
   Windows 10 (updated)
I can wake my PC up from hibernation, but not after it has been shut down from windows. So magic packet is fine.
Bios configuration is fine (checked with ASUS).

I checke with and without fast boot.After I power off he pc by unplugin it from power, wol works fine  once
Is there any fix about this strange problem?
Thanks

0 Kudos
C128
New Contributor I

Hello again men. I know we're waiting for Intel and Asus's new effort in form of a BIOS update thanks to our very own @tap77. But I did want to point this out. I noticed my Z590-i has a new driver released (2.0.1.3) that has this in the release notes-

3. Fixed Issues
[RCR] Remove D3Cold reporting to align POR

If you look into that, you'll see it very well could be related to the problem at hand. I'm currently testing this driver on my system. Too early to say but who knows, worth a try if anyone here is desperate. 

0 Kudos
andrescm
Novice

Can you provide a link to that driver?, I don't quite understand that fix.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
getarobo
Novice

Hey how did the test go? any updates?

0 Kudos
Jotaka
Beginner

Hi,

Last BIOS for Z590Plus is version 1410 (2022/03/15). I asked ASUS about this update and the wol problem but the answer was the update improve optimization of the pc, nothing about wol. 
Has anybody checked this new version?

0 Kudos
NeariX
Beginner

I had the same issue on my MSI Z690 DDR4 Tomahawk Wifi with I225-V Rev 3.
I followed this article and had everything set up as mentioned except point 2: disabling Hiberboot.
After modifying this with regedit WOL from S5 worked. Even after a shutdown without pulling the plug.

Driver is 1.0.2.14 IRC.

0 Kudos
andrescm
Novice

I've already followed the steps in that guide but it still doesn't work. Using latest version 1.1.3.28 right now. It's a real shame they can't make it work. At this point I feel I'm being forced to buy another NIC just to have a proper wake-on-LAN function.

I'm totally dissatisfied with this network adapter.

0 Kudos
C128
New Contributor I

Not responding to anyone in particular here- for anyone that can't get it to work even once, you don't have the problem that we are in this thread. That's a configuration or hardware issue, maybe you don't have a port opened up or are using other software that isn't playing nicely.

If you can't get it to work even once, that just helps encourage Intel techs to dismiss it as user error. There's plenty of posts and help guides out there with things to try if it isn't working at all.

solemgar
Novice

Hi C128. Apologies for the belated reply. I have v3 revision in my Z690 board. I have to say (fingers crossed) that so far has been behaving well. Did you try the new driver you mentioned?

0 Kudos
C128
New Contributor I

Apologies for my own late reply! Yes, this issue was resolved with i225v driver version 2.0.1.3. For anyone wanting to also try this driver, it can be found at ROG STRIX Z590-I GAMING WIFI (asus.com), the LAN driver. I've been using it 9 months now and not a single issue with WoL since. I use it daily, often multiple times a day.

I do see some posting here that they have all the right settings and not working, but if it never worked once- you have something else wrong. It's not the issue described in this thread! Not everyone has this as their root cause. I knew there was a bug because I've been using WoL daily for over 15 years now. 

Asus hasn't posted an updated driver since April for my board, it's still 2.0.1.3. But no matter, this issue is definitely corrected and I am a happy customer. I am surprisingly equally happy with this new Intel Arc A770 16GB GPU as well.

It may be the case that the driver that was provided with your Z690 was the same release or newer. Happy computing!

0 Kudos
Jotaka
Beginner

My experience: 

Motherboard  ASUS TUF Z-590 PLUS

BIOS: 1203

LAN: Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V

LAN Driver version: 1.1.3.28

WOL: NOT working at all.

WOL works if:

• I unplug the PC, waiting a few minutes (until LAN led is off). Then I can use the WOL. 
  • I let PC in sleep state.

All config in BIOS are set to enable WOL.

0 Kudos
Jotaka
Beginner

I've read the article cited by NeariX and, well, it's not very clear. For example I can not find the options cited in this article, like Respond to NS requests without waking system, Energy Efficient Ethernet or Reduce link speed during standby (I looked for them in network adapter>propertie>Power management) . 

All wake up options I've found are set ON. 

The Register Key was on 0 also.

But WOL doesn't work in version 1.0.2.22 

0 Kudos
andrescm
Novice

Well... I finally did it. Bought a simple TP-Link adapter (TG-3468). As soon as I enabled Wake-On-LAN on it, everything worked fine right away. PC turns on no matter if it was previously shut down from Windows or not. It just works. AS IT SHOULD. No other setting changed in Windows. Just replaced one adapter for another. Works fine sending magic packets both from inside the same LAN and over internet via a dynamic DNS domain (as my router was already configured to forward them correctly).

Learn from the competition Intel. It's an absolute shame I had to buy another ethernet adapter just for this single basic feature to work. Shame on you. I waited 4 months for a fix but wasn't willing to wait forever.

getarobo
Novice

Hey @andrescm Great news, I know this may seem like a stupid question but did you plug ethernet into TP-Link adapter and set Wake-On-Lan on? 
(I have clusters of computer using this mb and i would like to avoid setting static ip and stuff again    )

0 Kudos
andrescm
Novice

Hey @andrescm Great news, I know this may seem like a stupid question but did you plug ethernet into TP-Link adapter and set Wake-On-Lan on? 

Exactly.

(I have clusters of computer using this mb and i would like to avoid setting static ip and stuff again    )

That depends if you use a DHCP server or not, and/or if you want each computer to have a specific IP address.

0 Kudos
Horusar
Beginner

Hello everyone!!..
I have read the post carefully, since I have had and still have the same problem. (Although yesterday I just experienced the WOL since I hadn't needed it until now.)

My thanks to solemgar, c128, andrescm and several more who have contributed to the forum and have kept the problem on record.
I saw that andrescm made the decision to buy an external card and the problem was solved. (since it is another board other than the i225)

My solution, since ASUS and Intel... do not give a way to solve the problem... was to activate the wireless card of the motheboard (ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI) for WOL and obviously since it is another network card different from the I225, has worked correctly.

Having three different VLANs and being a VLAN associated with the wireless, when I wanted to change the WOL I have to be in the same wireless VLAN. (I do all this through my Apple devices.)

I don't know if I bring something new, but I would like to know if you see any inconvenience when using the wireless of the motherboard to activate the WOL devices.

But waiting for ASUS and Intel to solve the problem of the Network card.

Greetings.

0 Kudos
Starbuck
Beginner

For the users experiencing WOL problems in this thread...

Does WOL fail to work only happen when you are connected to a router/switch port that supports 2.5gbe?  What if you are connected at 1gbe speed / port?

I have an Asus RT-AX86U Router and Asus Z-690-Plus Motherboard and if I'm plugged into a 1gbe port, Wake On Lan works fine. But as soon as I plug into the 2.5gbe port and the card links and syncs at 2.5gbe, Wake On Lan doesn't work.

0 Kudos
abdulaziz
Beginner

hi i have also wake on lan problem i download the the verison 

1.0.1.4 it was working now its not working my motherboard is asus rog maximus hero viii lan port asus intel (R) ethernet controller 1225-v 

help me please to fix the problem thank u 

0 Kudos