Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

X520-DA1 Unprogrammed? Flash Not Present?

MBese
Beginner

I recently installed a X520-DA1 and it is not recognized correctly by Windows or Linux.

Windows detects it as a generic Ethernet Controller and installing the Intel drivers does not fix the issue. Under Linux, the device appears under lspci as:

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599EB 10 Gigabit Unprogrammed (rev 01)

Bootutil outputs the following:

C:\Intel23.5.2\APPS\BootUtil\Winx64>BOOTUTILW64E Intel(R) Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility BootUtil version 1.6.87.12 Copyright (C) 2003-2018 Intel Corporation WARNING: For legacy option ROM to work on device (location 7:00.0) the I/O BAR must also be enabled by the -IOE option. Type BootUtil -? for help Port Network Address Location Series WOL Flash Firmware Version ==== =============== ======== ======= === ============================= ======= 1 000000000000 7:00.0 10GbE N/A FLASH Not Present 2 7085C2281E2A 0:31.6 Gigabit N/A FLASH Not Present

The MAC address is also blank which is concerning.

Is the firmware somehow blank on this card?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello MBese, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. For us to further investigate the issue, please provide the following details: 1. Is it working before? 2. Have you tried re-seating the NIC card? 3. Have you tried to move the NIC card on a different PCI slot? 4. Please provide photos of the card focusing on the markings on each sides of the card. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MBese
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. This card was purchased used but was apparently in working condition at the time of sale. I haven't had a chance to experiment with different PCI slots yet (will try tonight), but for now I have been able to take a couple of photos of the card:intel1.jpgintel2.jpg

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello MBese, Thank you for sending the pictures of the card. For now, I am going to let you further isolate or troubleshoot the NIC card on different PCI slot to check if the card is working fine. Please send us an update once you are done with the troubleshooting. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MBese
Beginner

Unfortunately i only have 2 PCI Express x16 slots on my machine, and one is taken up by a graphics card. However I did try to reseat the card and I am still getting the same results.

The vendor believes the card may be defective, as the MAC address is showing up blank. They will be sending me a replacement - hopefully that resolves the issue. I will let you know if I still experience the same problems.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello MBese, Thank you for the update.. I am glad that your vendor is not going to replace the card. Can you tell us when can you test the replacement NIC card? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello MBese, Just want to check if your vendor already replaced the NIC and if the replacement unit is working fine? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello MBese, Just want to check if you already received the replacement from your vendor. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MBese
Beginner

Hello,

Sorry I forgot to respond to your previous message - yes the vendor sent a replacement card and it is working properly. You can close this case.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos