FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

11.0 installation on Linux problems

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Basically, I wanted to setup Dspbuilder 11.0 and MATLAB 11a on linux64-bit(debian5), so that I can use both standard block set and advanced block set. 

After installation, setting some environment variables and adding path/javapath in MATLAB, I could simulate demo models coming with standard block set and advanced block set. 

However,  

1. 1. when I tried to generate codes from the models from standard block set, I got an error. In the MATLAB command window, it says: 

“/local/altera/11.0/quartus/dsp_builder/bin64/libPortManager.so: libdinkum_alt.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32”; 

In the SignalCompiler block log box, it says:  

Info: Generating HDL 

Info: Analyzing Simulink model 

Matlab Error 

Java exception occurred:  

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: com.altera.dspbuilder.portmanager.PortManager.checkOut()Z 

at com.altera.dspbuilder.portmanager.PortManager.checkOut(Native Method) 

at com.altera.dspbuilder.serialisation.ModelSerialiser.<init>(Unknown Source) 

Error: Error during compilation: Error: Error analyzing model see log for details. 

2.2. When I tried to simulate a demo model and generate code from advanced block set, it asked for a license file on MATLAB path, though I had set LM_LICENSE_FILE pointing to our license server. 

Without the license file, it only simulated the model, but didn’t do code generation. 

I need to solve both problems. Any solutions or suggestions are appreciated.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the first problem looks like a 64/32-bit conflict. DSP Builder 11.0+ on Linux should support 64-bit MATLAB (finally), but something seems broken. i'm not sure what libdinkum_alt.so is but its part of the Quartus installation. maybe you are using Web Edition (which would only have 32-bit .so). you might have to install 32-bit MATLAB so DSP Builder runs 32-bit, and references 32-bit Quartus .so 

try: 

lmstat lmulil -a -c port@server 

i can't remember the whole DSP Builder feature code but it has 512A in it
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for reply. 

I have full version of Quartus 11.0 installed on my linux64 machine and have been using it for a while. The about shows "Quartus II Version 11.0 Build 157 04/27/2011 SJ Full Version". I also see quartus/linux64/libdinkum_alt.so and readelf shows it is elf64. But dspbuilder seems picking another libdinkum_alt.so instead. 

lmstat shows 20 license available, "Users of quartus: (Total of 20 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)". But I don't know where to find feature code.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How are you starting MATLAB/DSP Builder? 

In 11.0, DSP Builder on Linux provides a script to launch MATLAB and start DSP Builder. Typically you run this by typing something like: 

<path to quartus>/dsp_builder/dsp_builder.sh 

Is this what you're doing?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just coming back from a short leave. 

Yes. I launched DPS Builder with: 

<path to quartus>/dsp_builder/dsp_builder.sh -m /local/MATLAB/R2011a/bin/matlab &
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do the following commands return (typed in the same shell you started DSP Builder): 

uname -p echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

% uname -p 

unknown 

[ygu@ygu-deb5-64:/local/altera/11.0/quartus/dsp_builder] % echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH 

:/local/altera/11.0/quartus/dsp_builder/bin64:/local/altera/11.0/quartus/dspba/Blocksets/BaseBlocks/linux64:/local/altera/11.0/quartus/dsp_builder/bin64:/local/altera/11.0/quartus/dspba/Blocksets/BaseBlocks/linux64 

Does uname cause the problem?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The uname thing looks like it could be an issue. What distribution of Linux are you running?  

If you have access you could try modifying /local/altera/11.0/quartus/dsp_builder/dsp_builder.sh 

At line 88, it says: 

if ; then ADD_LIBRARIES=64 else ADD_LIBRARIES=32 fi 

You could change -p to -m. (Assuming uname -m returns x86_64). If that doesn't work you could delete all the lines from the quoted section above except for the ADD_LIBRARIES=64.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"uname -m" works for me! 

I could move forward until I was stopped by a license error. 

I am waiting for a new license, and hope it will solve the advanced block set problem. 

Thanks a lot for your help!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What distribution of Linux were you running?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using debian5.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No idea why that would matter. Oh well.

0 Kudos