FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5950 Discussions

ALTASMI_PARALLEL in full synchro design. Can I use the same clock and edge (rising edge ) for clkin and the rest of the design?

NJOUB1
Beginner

I use a ALTASMI_PARALLEL and a ALTEREMOTE_UPDATE megafunctions in a cyclone III. All the design is full synchro and use a rising edge of a 12MHz clock. I want to know if it's possible to use the same clock (also on rising edge) for clkin of ALTASMI_PARALLEL and clock for ALTREMOTE_UPDATE?

The documentation is not clear!

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

​​Hi,

Currently I am reviewing the forum for any open questions and found this thread. I apologize that no one seems to answer this question that you posted. Since it has been a while you posted this question, I'm wondering if you have found the answer? If not, please let me know, I will try to assign/find someone to assist you. Please do expect some delay in response as most of our agents are out of office due to the year-end holidays. Thank you.

Regards,

Nooraini

Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi NJOUB1,

The answer can be found from the other thread that you have posted:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P000049h6wjSAA/altasmiparallel-in-full-synchro-design-can-i-...

You can use the same clock source as the clock input for both ALTASMI_PARALLEL and ALTEREMOTE_UPDATE megafunction. There is no restriction that you need to use different clock source to each IP/megafunction.

Regards,

Nooraini

NJOUB1
Beginner
Thank you for your answer. When you said same clock source, that imply the same front edge, that right? It's not clear for me when I check the Active Serial Memory Interface (ALTASMI_PARALLEL) Megafunction User Guide (UG-ALT1005-4.2) . For example for a Write : [cid:image001.jpg@01D4A8D6.E2E938F0] [cid:image002.jpg@01D4A8D6.E2E938F0] What is the best solution to manage inputs signals (write , wren, shift_bytes, data_in.....) and to respect the propose timing? 1/ using clk positive edge for signals generation and clk negative edge for ALTASMI_PARALLEL clkin with constraints on Clk Frequency. Or 2/ using same clock positive edge for both with appropriate timing constraints on ALTASMI_PARALLEL. In this case, can-you help me to define the appropriate constraints for the IP? Same question for the ALTEREMOTE_UPDATE IP. Thank you for your help. Regards, Nathalie Schlumberger-Private
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi Nathalie,

I'm sure what is the difference between 1 and 2. ALTASMI IP sample the signals(write , wren, shift_bytes, data_in.....) on the rising edge of the clkin signal. You can just use the generate the singals base on the rising edge of the clkin signal. As far I checked internally, there are no timing constraint requirement for both ALTASMI_PARALLEL and ALTEREMOTE_UPDATE IP since these are hard block inside the device. There should not be any timing path for hard block inside the device. 

Regards,

Nooraini