FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5878 Discussions

ALTFP_DIV vs ALTERA_FP_FUNCTIONS's Divider

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am migrating design from Startix V to Arria 10. I observed that in the Stratix V design there are the ALTFP_DIV IPs(Quartus II 15.0) provided which actually donot provide any details regarding the operating frequency in the megawizard. The other option is the ALTERA_FP_FUNCTIONS(Quartus II 15.0) with divider function, which perfectly details the required frequency and the latency supported. The resource utilization varies between the two IPs are different for the same latency. I would like to confirm if ALTFP is outdated ?? Also I was not able to find this IP in Quartus Prime 16.0(I am using migrating to Arria 10 in this version) . I also find the latency numbers are more flexible in the ALTERA_FP_FUNCTIONS. Kindly add your comments.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ALTFP_DIV is an older core and I suspect ALTERA_FP_FUNCTIONS replaces it on Arria 10 and beyond since those devices support floating point units. Here is the documentation in case you haven't seen it yet: https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_altfp_mfug.pdf

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All,  

For the floating point implementation, this is recommended to use ALTERA_FP_FUNCTION, this new mega function is going to replace all of the old alfpt* operation 

Best Regards, 

Terence 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)