FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

Auto alimentation

OABBA1
Beginner

Hello,

I'm working in a project using CPLD, I'm using quartus 15, and USB blaster to program the device. 

My question is if I can program the device without the power supply , I don't know if the quartus software has a auto alimentation power so I can just plug the usb blaster and program the device without the extern power 

thank you 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You don't mention which dev kit you're using, but if the kit has a separate power supply brick, then you would need that power for programming and operation.

Some small dev kits, like the DE10-Lite, can operate over USB power, but that's a small minority of available kits.

0 Kudos
OABBA1
Beginner

I'm not using a dev board , the cpld is on the pcb 

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you are using external Blaster, then you will need to power up your board before you are able to program the device. If you are using embedded USB-blaster then it will depend on the board is able to support power up through the USB cable.

0 Kudos
OABBA1
Beginner

I'm using usb blaster to program the device , but i'm not using a dev board the cpld is in a seperate pcb!

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Based on my understanding, you will need to power on your CPLD before you are able to program the device.

0 Kudos