FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Configuring triple speed ethernet MAC with National DP83848 PHY in MII interface

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I am trying to make a design with a triple speed ethernet MAC from Altera work. I am using a National DP83848 PHY and the small 10/100 version of the MAC. I have attached a snapshot of my schematics to this thread 

The design compiles and the LED in the RJ45 connector is working when I download the design into my FPGA.  

I have tried to use web server template for my software. I have modified the web server by removing buttons etc. so it should work with my design, but when I launch the software then it crashes/hangs. I can see that the program crashes between the call to function  

alt_iniche_init();  

/* Start the Iniche-specific network tasks and initialize the network 

* devices. 

*/ 

and the call to the function 

netmain(); 

/* Wait for the network stack to be ready before proceeding. */ 

The first time I run the program I am asked to reset the program after I have entered the MAC-address where I have used the MAC address from my development kit. Then I reset the program then it crashes 

I guess that the problem is that I have to setup some status registers in the PHY to make it work or something like that, but I can not find any places in the web server where the registers in the PHY are set. 

All I have done so far is to 

- design hardware in Quartus 

- download hardware to FPGA 

- modify the webserver by removing function for button etc. 

- launch the webserver 

My hope is that NIOS IDE handles the HAL for the ethernet and sets up the software layers for the ethernet as I do not know a lot about these things. 

What more do I need to do to make the Ethernet work?  

How do I test if I send an receive packages? 

I am also thinking about how to test the content of the packages. My plan is to attach my board to my Laptop with a crossed cable and use the hyperterminal like I do with my UART. Does hyperterminal work for this purpose or is there an easier/better way? 

Thanks  

Tom
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey guy, 

First of all the attached JPG is too small and it is quite blur. 

Second, have you ever successfully run a web server example design before (can be TSE or LAN9C111)? If you haven't, Then I guess, the "hang" that you say is not true. Whenever you start up the Web Server design, the alt_iniche_init() will be called, provided with the MAC address you enter, it will start doing DHCP to obtain a valid dynamic IP address, it will take a very long time before it timeout if your network don't have a DHCP server.  

If that is the case and you don't have a network with DHCP server, I can provide you a work around to run Web Server with static IP, this is necessary for a PC to board point to point network connetion. If it is not, please provide a snapshot of the console text where the application hang, 

Third, you don't need to do any custom settings on the PHY(including detection network speed and duplex mode), the TSE driver already do it for you during initialization time, it natively support this National PHY. One thing that you need to take note is, whenever you want to run TSE including small mac version, you need to turn on the byte shifting/byte alignment synthesis option in the hardware, else it won't work. 

Lastly, look at the web server readme file, you can send or receive packet from the application using web browser. Else, you can also run simple socket server application, it allows you to do telnet access to the application. If you need access to the packet level information, installed a WireShark program on your laptop to peek on the packet.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can also write 1. a simple socket() client/server application in Nios2-IDE by modifying the simple socket server application 2. and another socket server/client program in Window/Linux machine to generate/recieve custom UCP/TCP packet and observe it using Wire Shark or dump it out on the console. Just do some google on the sample program.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi teilersen, 

I have made my own custom Cyclone III Nios board with the DP83848 PHY and it works fine. I also used the TSE MAC from Altera. 

I began with the simple socket server project and then I moved on the webserver project. 

Did you success in your project? 

I can help you if you have any questions.. 

Just a last thing, did you configure a system clock in SOPC builder, UCOSII and Interniche need this feature to work.. 

Regards, 

-Pierre
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pierre! 

I sent you a private message with my dummy questions. 

I would really appreciate your reply! 

Thanks, 

Tamas
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Tamas, 

You got it! Your steps are right but you need to check that your PHY device is supported by the TSE (this is the most important!), if not try to find a MAC ip which support your PHY (if the board is already done). 

Here is a summarize of the different ethernet "stuff" used in this project: 

software

operating system: UCOS/II (provided by altera for eval, you will need to purchase a license in your final product) 

ip stack: Interniche (provided by altera for eval, you will need to purchase a license in your final product) 

user code: "Simple Socket Server" template wich use ucos/II and Interniche 

midware: 

MAC IP TSE from Altera (free for eval) which is a vhdl entity to instantiate into your project, this ip will 'discuss" through MII bus with your PHY device 

hardware: 

Ethernet PHY (National DP83848C or Mrvell..) connected to your MAC ip hosted in the FPGA. 

I'm not sure step 9 will work because I think ethernet templates from Altera and the TSE don't work in ISS mode. For my project I used directly my custom board (>run hardware). 

If you success with the "simple socket server" template you can use easily the "webserver" template if your board has the appropriate memory configuration (flash to handle HTML pages) 

I hope it will help you, 

Don't hesitate if you any other questions (when you will have your board) 

Regards, 

-Pierre
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Quick question about the PHY connection: is it necessary to take the TX & RX clock pins to global clocks netword on the Clkin pins on the FPGA (or DPCLKs), or can normal IO's be used? 

Thanks, 

Pierre Watts
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pierre, 

You can use I/Os. It works fine for me. 

Best regards, 

-Pierre
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the quick reply! One last question: the DP83848 isn't 100% clear on its 25MHz clock output. Since it has a power-on reset, that clock should be present upon powerup. Can this therefore be used to clock the FPGA and its PLL's directly, thereby eliminating the need for an extra oscillator for the FPGA? Or is this a little dangerous? 

Thanks, 

Pierre
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm back on FPGA stuff, a little bit late for the answer but anyway maybe it will be useful for other people on this forum. The FPGA should have its own oscillator (i.e 50mhz), the 25Mhz clock output seems to be a little bit dangerous... because this chip communicates with the FPGA and so... (chicken and egg story..). I have one oscillator for the FPGA and for the DP83848. If anyone try this configuration (providing clock from DP83848 to FPGA) please don't hesistate to leave a message. 

Regards, 

-Pierre
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi teilersen, 

I have made my own custom Cyclone III Nios board with the DP83848 PHY and it works fine. I also used the TSE MAC from Altera. 

I began with the simple socket server project and then I moved on the webserver project. 

Just a last thing, did you configure a system clock in SOPC builder, UCOSII and Interniche need this feature to work.. 

Regards, 

-Pierre 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Pierre 

my problem is as following: 

nios2-terminal: connected to hardware target using JTAG UART on cable 

nios2-terminal: "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0 

nios2-terminal: (Use the IDE stop button or Ctrl-C to terminate) 

=============== Software License Reminder ================ 

This software project uses an unlicensed version of the NicheStack TCP/IP 

Network Stack - Nios II Edition. If you want to ship resulting object 

code in your product, you must purchase a license for this software from 

Altera. For information go to: "http://www.altera.com/nichestack

===================================================== 

InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.1  

Copyright 1996-2008 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved.  

prep_tse_mac 0 

prepped 1 interface, initializing... 

[tse_mac_init] 

INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x00000400 

INFO : PHY National DP83848C found at PHY address 0x1f of MAC Group[0] 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Automatically mapped to tse_mac_device[0] 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Auto-Negotiation PASSED 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Auto-Negotiation PASSED 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Checking link... 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Link established 

INFO : PHY[0.0] - Speed = 100, Duplex = Half 

OK, x=0, CMD_CONFIG=0x01000000 

MAC post-initialization: CMD_CONFIG=0x05000603 

[tse_sgdma_read_init] RX descriptor chain desc (1 depth) created 

IP address of et1 : 0.0.0.0 

Created "Inet main" task (Prio: 2) 

Created "clock tick" task (Prio: 3) 

DHCP timed out, going back to default IP address(es) 

Simple Socket Server starting up 

at the same time , i don't know why the DP83848 is very hot? 

thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you find out why your DP83848 was getting very hot? 

I have a similar problem with that PHY device. Actually 2 on a single board. Each one gets very hot like a power to ground short to latch-up. 

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out why.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same heat problem and it turned out my VCCIO levels was accidentally wrong. Make sure the 1.8V, 2.5V and RC filtered supplies are all correctly configured, and especially that the VDD_SEL_STRAP pin is correspondingly strapped to your VCCIO.  

Are all these rails the correct voltage? Especially the RC-filtered pins, are they still 1.8V? If those pins draw excessive current there will be a larger voltage drop across the resistors. 

Do the chips actually work or are they dead? When operating in GB mode they do get quite hot, but otherwise they're only moderately warm.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After contacting support for the board manufacturer and National Semi support, we're returning our board for replacement, suspecting defective DP83865DVH devices. 

Board manufacturer support said this was a "known problem" and are reworking boards to resolve. Temporary work around was to force the negotiated speed to 100 Mbps or below. Didn't work for us. One device showed a negotiated speed of 100 Mbps but still didn't work in the tx direction. The other device stayed at 1 Gbps (though it was never connected to anything capable of 1 Gbps) and showed no signs of life. Both devices were very hot to the touch from the first time they were configured. 

National Semi support said getting very hot in a few seconds means a faulty DP83865DVH part or possibly a board problem -- should return to board mfgr. 

Also, here's a thread on another forum where defective DP83865 devices are discussed: 

listsDOTgnuDOTorg/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2010-04/msg00603.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi teilersen, 

Regards, 

-Pierre 

--- Quote End ---  

Now I do the same work as you did,Can I communication with you though private email?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm working on bringing up an TSE Mac with DP83848. So far I have been unable to locate a reference design that shows how the TSE MAC is connected to the NIOS and the accompanying software. I know the Bemicro kit from Arrow uses this chip but so far they have been unable to provide any Ethernet examples.  

Any help appreciated, going to start looking at old dev kits to see if I can find one that uses the DP83848. Thanks 

David
0 Kudos