FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Create programming file for PFL FPPx16 with 4 Quad SPI flash

CBlow
Partner

I have a design that will use 4 Quad SPI flash for PFL and FPPx16.

How is the programming file created? Is it similar to CFI?

The Convert Programming Files window does not list SPI flash for parallel programming.

thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

Kindly refer to PFL Intel userguide on steps to design by using more than one flash.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_pfl.pdf - page 34

Do inform me if you need further information.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
CBlow
Partner

Hello,

I reviewed the steps on page 34 and my question is in regards to step 5 which asks to Select the .pof generated for the flash memory device.

Can you please clarify how this .pof is generated?

In my design the FPGA is Arria 10 with FPPx16 configuration, the PFL IP is in a Max V or Max 10, and there are 4xQuad SPI attached to the Max.

I have a .sof for the FPGA design, then I need to create a .pof.

In the Convert Programming Files window, I select .pof and select a quad spi configuration device, but the configuration modes to choose are only AS and ASx4.

Does it matter that the configuration mode is actually FPPx16 with the configuration file split between 4xQuad SPI?

Will creating the .jam file with a .pof created in this manner work properly?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

What is the total size of Quad SPI flash that you were using? You must select the density that is equivalent to the sum of the density of two CFI or NAND flash memory devices. For example, if you require two 512-Mb CFI flash memory devices, then select CFI_1 Gbit as configuration device and then select FPPX16 as configuration mode.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_pfl.pdf -page32

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
CBlow
Partner

Thanks Aiman,

The RBF size is 190Mbit, so the expectation is to use 4x64 Mbit QSPI. I will select CFI_256Mb.

Thanks.

0 Kudos