FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Cyclone 10 GX External Memory Interface (EMIF) Toolkit Issue

HamzahS
New Contributor I

Hello,

I'm using the Quartus Prime Pro 20.4.0 and Cyclone 10 GX development board to debug the DDR3 memory using the EMIF Toolkit. I want to do this to prepare to do it in the custom board we made.

I followed the EMIF Cyclone 10 GX FPGA IP Design Example User Guide:

https://www.intel.la/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-20119.pdf

In the tool kit I initialized the connection and linked the project to the device successfully. However, Creating memory interface connection yields the following error: "Unable to establish a connection because no memory interface targets exist on the linked device".

A solution is proposed by Intel to modify the .jdi file as shown:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000076059.html

But this solution is old (Quartus II 12.0) and my version of Quartus Prime does not generate the .jdi file anyways. And the person posting the query said it does not work as shown:

https://community.intel.com/t5/FPGA-Intellectual-Property/Unable-to-establish-a-connection-because-no-memory-interface/m-p/720703

I'm not sure how to go forward from here, kindly advise.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Sulaiman

0 Kudos
1 Solution
HamzahS
New Contributor I

Hi Adzim,

I just found out the issue. It was because I didn't add an EMIF Debug Interface port in the IP parameters/Diagnostic tap. Sorry for missing this part.

Thanks for your help and the quick support.

-Sulaiman

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Sulaiman,

Please verify that the project contains .qsf, .qpf and .sof files in the working directory.

These are minimum file set to run the EMIF Toolkit.

Also, please verify that the target board is reset.

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos
HamzahS
New Contributor I

Hello Adzim,

Thanks for your support, All mentioned files exist in the working directory.

Also, I have tried while the board is in reset and not reset state. Although I suppose for the toolkit to work the board should not be in reset?

Note: I'm using the generated example design with the Cyclone 10 GX EMIF preset applied. I only did pin assignments.

BR,

-Sulaiman

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Sulaiman,

Maybe you can share the pin assignment or the .qar of the example design so that I can check the connection.

Thanks,

Adzim

0 Kudos
HamzahS
New Contributor I

Dear Adzim,

Find .qar attached.

Thanks,

-Sulaiman

0 Kudos
HamzahS
New Contributor I

Dear Adzim,

Sorry for the rush, but we are currently being held by this issue. Have you reached any conclusion?

Thanks,

-Sulaiman

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Sulaiman,

I'm sorry for delay because of the holiday yesterday.

But now I'm working on it.

I will let you know later.

Thanks.

Adzim

0 Kudos
HamzahS
New Contributor I

Hi Adzim,

I just found out the issue. It was because I didn't add an EMIF Debug Interface port in the IP parameters/Diagnostic tap. Sorry for missing this part.

Thanks for your help and the quick support.

-Sulaiman

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Sulaiman,

Thank you for your update.

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos