FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Cyclone V: Meeting timing with HMC and DDR3-800?

jrrguzman
New Contributor I

Hi,

I'm using a Cyclone V-SE and trying to implement a HMC targetting a DDR3-800. After plugging in all the values from the vendor datasheet and running the whole compilation flow I can't get the design to meet timing (DDR Read Capture hold constraint fails miserably).

First of all I want to know if this is actually possible. If so, what are the main parameters used in the Read Capture setup/hold analysis?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Just to make sure your device can support this, fill out the spec estimator and check the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/support-centers/external-memory-interfaces-support/emif.html

Since you're using an SoC device, are you using the HPS hard controller, an FPGA hard controller, or a soft controller?

Are you running your user logic half-rate or quarter rate (if supported for your particular configuration)?

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
jrrguzman
New Contributor I

Hi @sstrell​ 

I've checked the link and in principle I should be able to run DDR3-800 (400MHz)

I've got the HPS running at DDR3-800 without a problem. However I also want to use the FPGA HMC and drive another DDR3-800 memory chip. However, after pluggin in the values from the manufacturer, the Read Capture hold analysis has a 7 ps violation.

In principle, the HMC for Cyclone V only allows full data rate on the user logic. I've included the current configuration (maybe you can spot what's the issue)

ddr3_config_3.pngddr3_config_2.pngddr3_config_1.png

Cheers.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Can you provide the design.qar for investigation?

Thanks.

0 Kudos