FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Cyclone V Transceiver Native PHY IP not available in Qsys

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm trying to build a system based on the Native PHY IP core for the Cyclone V GX. This IP is available in Quartus, but it doesn't appear in the Qsys catalog... all the files are there, but the INTERNAL property on the .tcl is set to true... changing it to false and regenerating the altera_components.ipx causes it to appear on Qsys, but now I am wondering if this is hidden for a reason... like maybe the IP is not ready for Qsys yet and it won't work no matter how much time I put on it.... I started adding some other modules, and I realized the clocks for the PHY are defined as conduits, rather than clocks, so it doesn't allow me to connect them to any clock sources...  

Any idea of why the IP is hidden? And any recommendation whether to spend time on it or rather try to develop everything in Quartus II? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I observe that also previously and seek clarification with Altera. It seems like the Native PHY is not fully verified with Qsys system. Thus, it was shown as hidden component.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest that you build Native PHY at your RTL and then hook up with you Qsys module if required.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks bfkstimchan! I guess if the IP isn't fully supported in Qsys there's not many options... it is just a shame... I made it visible, but then it wouldn't allow me to connect the clocks properly, etc. so probably your suggestion is the best way to go.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Take a look at the Transceiver Toolkit documents at the top of this page: 

https://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/cobra_docs.html 

section 4 of this document ... 

https://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/pdf/altera_ttk_examples.pdf 

tells you how to turn on the "hidden" Qsys components ... 

As commented above, if you find bugs ... you won't get much help ... but at least you can try the components and decide for yourself. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave for the sharing. You are right, it is rather difficult to get support if we use the hidden component.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the links Dave! I've been watching the video for the Cyclone V with the custom transceiver for the starter kit and I may give it a try :)

0 Kudos