FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

DDR3 SDRAM Controller with UNIPHY pll_ref_clk input and streaming data

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to feed a DDR3 SDRAM Controller with UNIPHY pll_ref_clk input using a pll.  

I have generated the DDR3 SDRAM Controller in qsys and currently have it working with an external Oscillator feeding a FPGA Pin which is then applied to the pll_ref_clk input. I would like to feed it with a PLL instead. I am running into problems when compiling the project: 

ERROR: ...._p0_pin_map.tcl : Failed to find PLL reference clock 

This is a known issue:  

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd05282014_665.html 

The workaround/fix says to edit the <variation_name>_p0_get_input_clk_id procedure in the <variation_name>_p0_pin_map.tcl file and change the value from 9 to a larger value, e.g. 20 and then recompile. However when I look in this file and in this procedure I cant find the value to change!! Can anyone help me apply the workaround? 

On the same topic do I need to change anything in the PLL I am using to make it compatible for example setting the cascade output of the pll? 

Thanks 

James
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I am trying to feed a DDR3 SDRAM Controller with UNIPHY pll_ref_clk input using a pll.  

I have generated the DDR3 SDRAM Controller in qsys and currently have it working with an external Oscillator feeding a FPGA Pin which is then applied to the pll_ref_clk input. I would like to feed it with a PLL instead. I am running into problems when compiling the project: 

ERROR: ...._p0_pin_map.tcl : Failed to find PLL reference clock 

This is a known issue:  

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd05282014_665.html 

The workaround/fix says to edit the <variation_name>_p0_get_input_clk_id procedure in the <variation_name>_p0_pin_map.tcl file and change the value from 9 to a larger value, e.g. 20 and then recompile. However when I look in this file and in this procedure I cant find the value to change!! Can anyone help me apply the workaround? 

On the same topic do I need to change anything in the PLL I am using to make it compatible for example setting the cascade output of the pll? 

Thanks 

James 

--- Quote End ---  

Did you find the answer of your question ? I'm having the same issue right now
0 Kudos