FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5982 Discussions

DDR3 SDRAM Controller with UNIPHY pll_ref_clk input and streaming data

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to feed a DDR3 SDRAM Controller with UNIPHY pll_ref_clk input using a pll.  

I have generated the DDR3 SDRAM Controller in qsys and currently have it working with an external Oscillator feeding a FPGA Pin which is then applied to the pll_ref_clk input. I would like to feed it with a PLL instead. I am running into problems when compiling the project: 

ERROR: ...._p0_pin_map.tcl : Failed to find PLL reference clock 

This is a known issue:  

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd05282014_665.html 

The workaround/fix says to edit the <variation_name>_p0_get_input_clk_id procedure in the <variation_name>_p0_pin_map.tcl file and change the value from 9 to a larger value, e.g. 20 and then recompile. However when I look in this file and in this procedure I cant find the value to change!! Can anyone help me apply the workaround? 

On the same topic do I need to change anything in the PLL I am using to make it compatible for example setting the cascade output of the pll? 

Thanks 

James
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I am trying to feed a DDR3 SDRAM Controller with UNIPHY pll_ref_clk input using a pll.  

I have generated the DDR3 SDRAM Controller in qsys and currently have it working with an external Oscillator feeding a FPGA Pin which is then applied to the pll_ref_clk input. I would like to feed it with a PLL instead. I am running into problems when compiling the project: 

ERROR: ...._p0_pin_map.tcl : Failed to find PLL reference clock 

This is a known issue:  

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd05282014_665.html 

The workaround/fix says to edit the <variation_name>_p0_get_input_clk_id procedure in the <variation_name>_p0_pin_map.tcl file and change the value from 9 to a larger value, e.g. 20 and then recompile. However when I look in this file and in this procedure I cant find the value to change!! Can anyone help me apply the workaround? 

On the same topic do I need to change anything in the PLL I am using to make it compatible for example setting the cascade output of the pll? 

Thanks 

James 

--- Quote End ---  

Did you find the answer of your question ? I'm having the same issue right now