FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

DMA without nios

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am thinking that how to use a dma without nios.  

it seems i shoud write a dma controller by myself. 

does any one has done the same thing before? 

or any one can provide me some examples? 

thanks
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you mean you have a system without any CPU and need to transfer data to/from memory? What's the actual use of such a system? 

You can either write your own DMA, or create a component that's able to control the registers of an existing DMA.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i just want to get datas form ssram throug dma,btw,that just is a homework. 

so, now i am thinking can i use spoc-builder to generate one.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes SOPC builder is the way to go. But how will you put the data into your ssram in the first place?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

:)i just load a image into ssram(de2-70 board through panel-tool) , i want get datas out ,then i think of dma ,meantime i saw a paper in the internet,it uses this mather throug dma do the same thing and also shows a module image without source code (those in/outputs are belowe ) . but in the paper it seems the dma module is writed by hand and made by fifo megawizard ,so i wonder if i can make one by sopc builder , aha...:), just a weird idea . 

iCLK 

iFIFO_RST_n 

iRD1_FIFO_RD_CLK 

iRD1_FIFO_RD_REQ 

iRD2_FIFO_RD_CLK 

iRD2_FIFO_RD_REQ 

iRD3_FIFO_RD_CLK 

iRD3_FIFO_RD_REQ 

iRD4_FIFO_RD_CLK 

iRD4_FIFO_RD_REQ 

iRD5_FIFO_RD_CLK 

iRD5_FIFO_RD_REQ 

iRST_n 

iTRIGGER 

iWR1_FIFO_WR_CLK 

iWR1_FIFO_WR_REQ 

iWR1_FIFO_DATA_IN[31..0] 

iSSRAM_READDATA[31..0] 

oRD1_FIFO_RD_EMPTY 

oRD2_FIFO_RD_EMPTY 

oRD3_FIFO_RD_EMPTY 

oRD4_FIFO_RD_EMPTY 

oRD5_FIFO_RD_EMPTY 

oSSRAM_READ 

oSSRAM_WRITE 

oRD1_FIFO_DATA_OUT[31..0] 

oRD2_FIFO_DATA_OUT[31..0] 

oRD3_FIFO_DATA_OUT[31..0] 

oRD4_FIFO_DATA_OUT[31..0] 

oRD5_FIFO_DATA_OUT[31..0] 

oSSRAM_ADDRESS[18..0] 

oSSRAM_WRITEDATA[31..0]
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know how the panel tool works, but you'll probably need a SOPC project with either a Nios CPU or a jtag-to-avalon debug module for it to access the SRAM. So in this case you'd better use SOPC builder and make a component with an Avalon master interface, to be able to share the SRAM between JTAG and your DMA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well.. this is a stupid question, but i wanna ask anyway..  

So you could actually create something using SOPC without implementing a NIOS 2 processor? I thought the whole purpose of using SOPC is to implement a design with a NIOS 2? 

Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So you could actually create something using SOPC without implementing a NIOS 2 processor? I thought the whole purpose of using SOPC is to implement a design with a NIOS 2? 

--- Quote End ---  

Its not a stupid question. All the documentation relating to SOPC/Qsys generally talk about NIOS II systems. However, all you really need is an Avalon-MM bus master. The NIOS II just happens to be one type of master. 

I rarely use the NIOS II processor. I use the JTAG-to-Avalon-MM bridge for debugging, and then have other processor-to-Avalon-MM master designs for accessing components inside the FPGA. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Michael 

--- Quote End ---  

The next generation tool called "Qsys" was specifically named that to try to break the perception that you can't use SOPC Builder without Nios II. Nios II is a software core processor, SOPC Builder and Qsys are system integration tools. The only thing the SOPC Builder/Qsys have in common in common with Nios II is support for Avalon memory mapped interfaces.
0 Kudos