FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

DMA without nios

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am thinking that how to use a dma without nios.  

it seems i shoud write a dma controller by myself. 

does any one has done the same thing before? 

or any one can provide me some examples? 

thanks
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you mean you have a system without any CPU and need to transfer data to/from memory? What's the actual use of such a system? 

You can either write your own DMA, or create a component that's able to control the registers of an existing DMA.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i just want to get datas form ssram throug dma,btw,that just is a homework. 

so, now i am thinking can i use spoc-builder to generate one.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes SOPC builder is the way to go. But how will you put the data into your ssram in the first place?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

:)i just load a image into ssram(de2-70 board through panel-tool) , i want get datas out ,then i think of dma ,meantime i saw a paper in the internet,it uses this mather throug dma do the same thing and also shows a module image without source code (those in/outputs are belowe ) . but in the paper it seems the dma module is writed by hand and made by fifo megawizard ,so i wonder if i can make one by sopc builder , aha...:), just a weird idea . 

iCLK 

iFIFO_RST_n 

iRD1_FIFO_RD_CLK 

iRD1_FIFO_RD_REQ 

iRD2_FIFO_RD_CLK 

iRD2_FIFO_RD_REQ 

iRD3_FIFO_RD_CLK 

iRD3_FIFO_RD_REQ 

iRD4_FIFO_RD_CLK 

iRD4_FIFO_RD_REQ 

iRD5_FIFO_RD_CLK 

iRD5_FIFO_RD_REQ 

iRST_n 

iTRIGGER 

iWR1_FIFO_WR_CLK 

iWR1_FIFO_WR_REQ 

iWR1_FIFO_DATA_IN[31..0] 

iSSRAM_READDATA[31..0] 

oRD1_FIFO_RD_EMPTY 

oRD2_FIFO_RD_EMPTY 

oRD3_FIFO_RD_EMPTY 

oRD4_FIFO_RD_EMPTY 

oRD5_FIFO_RD_EMPTY 

oSSRAM_READ 

oSSRAM_WRITE 

oRD1_FIFO_DATA_OUT[31..0] 

oRD2_FIFO_DATA_OUT[31..0] 

oRD3_FIFO_DATA_OUT[31..0] 

oRD4_FIFO_DATA_OUT[31..0] 

oRD5_FIFO_DATA_OUT[31..0] 

oSSRAM_ADDRESS[18..0] 

oSSRAM_WRITEDATA[31..0]
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know how the panel tool works, but you'll probably need a SOPC project with either a Nios CPU or a jtag-to-avalon debug module for it to access the SRAM. So in this case you'd better use SOPC builder and make a component with an Avalon master interface, to be able to share the SRAM between JTAG and your DMA.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well.. this is a stupid question, but i wanna ask anyway..  

So you could actually create something using SOPC without implementing a NIOS 2 processor? I thought the whole purpose of using SOPC is to implement a design with a NIOS 2? 

Michael
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So you could actually create something using SOPC without implementing a NIOS 2 processor? I thought the whole purpose of using SOPC is to implement a design with a NIOS 2? 

--- Quote End ---  

Its not a stupid question. All the documentation relating to SOPC/Qsys generally talk about NIOS II systems. However, all you really need is an Avalon-MM bus master. The NIOS II just happens to be one type of master. 

I rarely use the NIOS II processor. I use the JTAG-to-Avalon-MM bridge for debugging, and then have other processor-to-Avalon-MM master designs for accessing components inside the FPGA. 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Michael 

--- Quote End ---  

The next generation tool called "Qsys" was specifically named that to try to break the perception that you can't use SOPC Builder without Nios II. Nios II is a software core processor, SOPC Builder and Qsys are system integration tools. The only thing the SOPC Builder/Qsys have in common in common with Nios II is support for Avalon memory mapped interfaces.