FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

DSP Builder license

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi i have cyclone II kit EP2C70 with quartus II, dsp builder and nios II all v6.0. 

i download .dat file from the licensing site of altera. 

my quartus II issue is resolved with that file. 

but when i run signal compiler from dsp builder. then messages appear in the "signal compiler messages window" that "unable to check a valid DSP Builder license". 

when i run synthesis then quartus II analysis & Synthesis remain unsuccessful.. 

what i should do? 

i need suggestion
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think i am not clear... 

i want to initialize the software (dsp builder v6.0, quartus II v6.0 and nios) provided with the kit. 

i got license file for quartus II v6.0 from the licensing site, and it is working. 

please help me for valid license file that i can use in dsp builder v6.0.i donot know how i can get a valid license file for dsp builder. 

i have read the documentation (dsp builder user guide and dsp builder release notes) but the problem of generating the vhdl files from the signal compiler is still there. 

may i come to know how i can get a valid license file for dsp builder?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you set the LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable to point to your license file? It's probably safest to make sure it's on a path that doesn't contain any spaces. 

To see its value in MATLAB, type: 

getenv LM_LICENSE_FILE
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks sir for your reply. 

sir i got license.dat file from the altera site and enter it in the quartus II tool menu. so my quartus licensing problem is resolve. 

i set the path to same file(license.dat) in the environment variable. 

when i type the command.. 

getenv LM_LICENSE_FILE 

ans= 

D:\license_file (this is the same path that i have set to the license file) 

but still problem is not resolve. 

signal compiler shows the message in its message window "unable to find a valid license file".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Start Quartus, click on the Tools menu and select License Setup. In the list of licenses, do you have "Altera (C4D5)" with Product "512A"?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

no sir i do not "altera (C4D5)" with product "512A".

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Then your license isn't valid for DSP Builder. I don't know anything about how you obtain a valid license unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

okay. 

thanx for your information
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I have this problem also. I have a Valid license. Environment variable is set correctly. Open quartus ii\licence_setup... and in there i see all the vendors INCLUDING C4D5.  

Typed this command in matlab: dos('lmutil lmdiag C4D5_512A') 

i get : 

lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2006 Macrovision Europe Ltd. and/or Macrovision Corporation. All Rights Reserved.  

FLEXnet diagnostics on Wed 4/27/2011 19:10  

-----------------------------------------------------  

License file: C:\altera\10.1sp1\license.dat  

"C4D5_512A" v2035.12, vendor: alterad  

uncounted nodelocked license, locked to ethernet address "0013720d801f" no expiration date  

This is the correct node for this node-locked license  

ans = 

all seems fine untill i try to compile using signal comipler,  

i get this error: 

Matlab Error 

Unable to obtain a DSP Builder license. Please check that your LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable is set to a valid license file or license server. LM_LICENSE_FILE is currently "C:\altera\10.1sp1\license.dat". 

Error: Error during compilation: Error: Error analyzing model see log for details. 

Im using quartus 10.1, dsp builder 10.0, matlab R2008b. Stratix ii dsp kit. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP. 

Regards, 

Husam 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can't use Quartus 10.1 and DSP Builder 10.0 together at the same time. The DSP Builder version must be the same as the Quartus version. Is that a typo?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

no it isn't i am actually using different versions. I did this becuase i read that matlab R2008 is compatibale with dsp_builder 10.0 and not 10.1, 

i only have one version of matlab so isit possible for me to use quartus 10.0 web edition?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think so. What's probably happening is that DSP Builder is actually using your 10.0 quartus version but you should make sure that the Quartus directory on your Windows path points to the 10.0, or you may find there are DLL linking problems. That may be the cause of your problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry i have been working on this problem for 2 days and my mind isn't with it anymore. What do you mean sir? i am going to downgrade my quartus 10.1v (uninstall it) to 10.0v so dsp_builder 10.0v can work like you said. Therefore, all the software should be compatiable (including matlab R2008). Then use my licese.dat

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I'm saying downgrade your quartus. 

I'm not saying it will fix your problem, but even if you could get your license problem to go away, DSP Builder 10.0 would not generate correctly with Quartus 10.1.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

my license error is still occuring. what can i do to fix this?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you update LM_LICENSE_FILE after downgrading? You had your license file at C:\altera\10.1sp1\license.dat before. Does that still exist? 

Unfortunately I can't think of any other reason why your license file might fail.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn't know the versions had to be the same. Pretty sure I've used different versions together in the past.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's not been possible to mix versions since before 7.1. You could use the generated HDL from one version (using HDL Export) and add that to a project which you compiled with a different version of Quartus. DSP Builder is installed directly into quartus and can only be installed into a version that's the same as it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, I have this problem also. I have a Valid license. Environment variable is set correctly. Open quartus ii\licence_setup... and in there i see all the vendors INCLUDING C4D5.  

Typed this command in matlab: dos('lmutil lmdiag C4D5_512A') 

i get : 

lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2006 Macrovision Europe Ltd. and/or Macrovision Corporation. All Rights Reserved.  

FLEXnet diagnostics on Wed 4/27/2011 19:10  

License file: C:\altera\10.1sp1\license.dat  

"C4D5_512A" v2035.12, vendor: alterad  

uncounted nodelocked license, locked to ethernet address "0013720d801f" no expiration date  

This is the correct node for this node-locked license  

ans = 

all seems fine untill i try to compile using signal comipler,  

i get this error: 

Matlab Error 

Unable to obtain a DSP Builder license. Please check that your LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable is set to a valid license file or license server. LM_LICENSE_FILE is currently "C:\altera\10.1sp1\license.dat". 

Error: Error during compilation: Error: Error analyzing model see log for details. 

Im using quartus 10.1, dsp builder 10.0, matlab R2008b. Stratix ii dsp kit. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP. 

Regards, 

Husam 

--- Quote End ---  

may i ask you that how you get you dsp builder license? thank you ...
0 Kudos