FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Dsp builder port number mismatches

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Guys, 

I am using simulink on Centos system at the university and recently started using Altera DSP builder blocksets . I am facing a problem, whenever i try adding ports to the block through optional ports settings. I get this error and nothing reflects on the blocks. can somebody tell me what am i going it wrongly? 

warning: port number 1 specified in 'port_label' exceeds the number of input ports of 'untitled/counter' 

Regards, 

Dilip
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"whenever i try adding ports to the block through optional ports settings" is pretty vague! 

It sounds like you're using DSP Builder Standard rather than Advanced. It also sounds like in this example you've added a Counter block to your design and tried adding some extra ports to the block. I've just done the same and can't replicate the errors you're seeing. 

What may be happening though is that your paths are not set up properly or you may be running 64-bit MATLAB which is not currently supported. Please type the following at the MATLAB prompt: 

>> mexext  

This should print "mexglx" on MATLAB running on Linux. If it says "mexa64", you're running MATLAB in 64-bit mode. Start MATLAB with "matlab -glnx86" to force it into 32-bit mode. 

>> which sGeneric 

This should point to a file that ends in .mexglx. If it can't find it then your paths are not set up properly. 

>> javaclasspath -dynamic 

This should report that the file "dspb_sblocks.jar" is on the Java classpath. If it's not then your Java path is not set up properly. (In some cases it may be on the static class path in which case javaclasspath -static will show you this).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for helping me out. I tried all three commands and found out that I am running 32-bit Matlab version and "dspb_sblocks.jar" is listed on javaclasspath but when i have given >>which sGeneric, it can't find it. Please help me how to set the path correctly. 

Altera has been installed on this directory. 

/sw/altera/quartus/9.0/quartus  

Regards, 

Dilip
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In which case you should type the following commands: 

addpath /sw/altera/quartus/9.0/quartus/dsp_builder/bin 

addpath /sw/altera/quartus/9.0/quartus/dsp_builder/bin/matlab 

addpath /sw/altera/quartus/9.0/quartus/dsp_builder/bin/mdllibrary 

To make sure these get executed every time, add them to a startup.m file as described in http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_env/f8-4994.html (http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/matlab_env/f8-4994.html).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

This path wasn't added before 

/sw/altera/quartus/9.0/quartus/dsp_builder/bin 

and now after adding it, i can add additional ports to the blocks. 

Thanks a lot. 

Regards, 

Dilip
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I can see that there are some blocksets missing in altera dsp builder advanced blockset. Now i can onle see base blocks. where are those boards and all. 

Thanks, 

Dilip
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sounds like your path is missing lots of stuff. Try adding further directories: 

addpath(genpath('/sw/altera/quartus/9.0/quartus/dspba')) 

Will add every directory under DSP Builder Advanced to your MATLAB path and so you shouldn't miss anything. You could make it more fine-grained with that if that was too much.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No that isn't helping. when i right click alter dsp builder advanced blockset, i can open this library called aionmodelip. Where it shows all the other blocks like boardsupport. But these things aren't shown on simulink library browser.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't think that's ever worked. Ignore that.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just deleted the repository and rebuild it again. Now everything seems to be normal :) 

Regards, 

Dilip
0 Kudos