FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

How do I create a EPCS serial flash controller using the "Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel FPGA IP" controller in a Max10 device. The EPCS serial flash controller is not supported in Max 10 device.

JJens15
Beginner

I would like to instantiate the equivalent of an EPCS serial flash controller, used by an old Cyclone I design, in a Max10 device. I have instantiated a "Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel FPGA IP" controller, and enabled the SPI pins and disabled the AS pin, so the signals are exported.

I don't need it for FPGA configuration, I need it for board level backward compatibility.

It all looks pretty good, except instead of one serial data IO pin, there is a 4-bit wide data bus exported from the block.  So I assume this is some quad-spi thing.

Is there a way to instantiate a serial flash controller with a single data IO pin? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi JJens15,

First

Generic Serial Flash Interface IP is not support Active Serial (AS) configuration scheme for Max 10 device (configuration data),

Max 10 only supported for General purpose memory which are:

• Read device ID
  • Enable sector protect
  • Perform sector erase
  • Read and write data from and to flash devices

Second

Generic Serial Flash Interface IP is not support EPCS device. The supported Intel flash devices for configuration memory are, EPCQ, EPCQ-A and EPCQ-L.

I hope this will help.

Thanks.😉

0 Kudos
JJens15
Beginner

I can use a different device with no problem, but that isn't really the question.  There are devices with a single data IO pin available.

The question is, why does the Generic Serial Flash Interface IP create a component with 4 output data pins?  I only want one.

Is the hardware somehow configured to for data IO on only one pin, even though 4 show up in the BSF?

Is there a way to instantiate a serial flash controller with a single data IO pin?

Jeff Jensen

0 Kudos