cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

PCIe Cyclone V CRA Register

Hallo together, 

actually i'm trying to implement a system with the hard PCIe core of the Cyclone 5 Altera development board (GX). 

What do I use 

- Quartus 13 on a windows 64 bit computer 

- PCIe development board from Altera 

- Embedded pc from Kontron with Linux 

- Avalon-MM Cyclone V Hard IP for PCI Express 

What is working: 

- Linux detects the different bars and loads the correct driver. 

- Access through different PCIe bars to internal and external ram (ddr3). 

What is NOT working: 

- Can't enable the Interrupt because I can't read and write the CRA register area 

How do I test: 

- The CRA register are mapped through a slave in the Avalon address space (0x0 - 0x3FFF) 

- Avalon Master of BAR 2 is connected to this slave an to an additional SRAM slave 

- I can read and write to the slave - verified also with the signal tap  

- I can realize a read and write to the CRA slave  

- signal tap to the port of the slave  

- signal names like dut_cra_translator/av_address etc. 

- When the BAR2 master write and read I can see the correct values (adr, data, ... )  

- I can see the the wait_request is deactivated after on clock or so. 

- But I always read zero (and I do not write zero :)). 

Does anyone know what's wrong? 

best regards 

Arnd
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi Arnd, 

we are having the same problem. Would you please tell us if you found the reason and how to solve the problem.  

Thanks in advance.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

I am having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution to this, or a reason why the CRA registers appear to be all set to zero? 

I am also using the Altera CycloneV GX dev board with the 5CGXFC7D6F31C6NES and Quartus 13.1. 

I set values to the ID registers (Vendor ID, Device Id, etc..) in the QSys IP set-up GUI for the "Avalon-MM Cyclone V Hard IP for PCI Express" (altera_pcie_cv_hip_avmm). I expected to see these same values when accessing the CRA register from the NIOS2 processor. All I see is zeros. I am setting up the Hard IP as a Root Port. 

I'm still learning about PCIe, so my assumption that the CRA port should show something useful may be wrong. I would be greatful is somebody could at least confirm what I should be seeing through the CRA port. 

Thanks.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I am having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution to this, or a reason why the CRA registers appear to be all set to zero? 

I am also using the Altera CycloneV GX dev board with the 5CGXFC7D6F31C6NES and Quartus 13.1. 

I set values to the ID registers (Vendor ID, Device Id, etc..) in the QSys IP set-up GUI for the "Avalon-MM Cyclone V Hard IP for PCI Express" (altera_pcie_cv_hip_avmm). I expected to see these same values when accessing the CRA register from the NIOS2 processor. All I see is zeros. I am setting up the Hard IP as a Root Port. 

I'm still learning about PCIe, so my assumption that the CRA port should show something useful may be wrong. I would be greatful is somebody could at least confirm what I should be seeing through the CRA port. 

Thanks. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

Have you tried Quartus 13.0? This may work. 

Or you can connect a BAR directly to CRA port and control from CPU/PC. 

Good luck.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, I'm having the same problem. All I read from CRA (register data) is zero ... Thank you in advance for any hint.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

If you are using VHDL, if so you might be running into this known issue: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd03062014_662.html
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thank you memory_monkey :) for your help -> it solved my problem.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

Could you show me a example about how to operate with CRA register from the NIOS2 processor?. 

Thanks