FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

PCIe Cyclone V CRA Register

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hallo together, 

actually i'm trying to implement a system with the hard PCIe core of the Cyclone 5 Altera development board (GX). 

What do I use 

- Quartus 13 on a windows 64 bit computer 

- PCIe development board from Altera 

- Embedded pc from Kontron with Linux 

- Avalon-MM Cyclone V Hard IP for PCI Express 

What is working: 

- Linux detects the different bars and loads the correct driver. 

- Access through different PCIe bars to internal and external ram (ddr3). 

What is NOT working: 

- Can't enable the Interrupt because I can't read and write the CRA register area 

How do I test: 

- The CRA register are mapped through a slave in the Avalon address space (0x0 - 0x3FFF) 

- Avalon Master of BAR 2 is connected to this slave an to an additional SRAM slave 

- I can read and write to the slave - verified also with the signal tap  

- I can realize a read and write to the CRA slave  

- signal tap to the port of the slave  

- signal names like dut_cra_translator/av_address etc. 

- When the BAR2 master write and read I can see the correct values (adr, data, ... )  

- I can see the the wait_request is deactivated after on clock or so. 

- But I always read zero (and I do not write zero :)). 

Does anyone know what's wrong? 

best regards 

Arnd
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Arnd, 

we are having the same problem. Would you please tell us if you found the reason and how to solve the problem.  

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution to this, or a reason why the CRA registers appear to be all set to zero? 

I am also using the Altera CycloneV GX dev board with the 5CGXFC7D6F31C6NES and Quartus 13.1. 

I set values to the ID registers (Vendor ID, Device Id, etc..) in the QSys IP set-up GUI for the "Avalon-MM Cyclone V Hard IP for PCI Express" (altera_pcie_cv_hip_avmm). I expected to see these same values when accessing the CRA register from the NIOS2 processor. All I see is zeros. I am setting up the Hard IP as a Root Port. 

I'm still learning about PCIe, so my assumption that the CRA port should show something useful may be wrong. I would be greatful is somebody could at least confirm what I should be seeing through the CRA port. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I am having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution to this, or a reason why the CRA registers appear to be all set to zero? 

I am also using the Altera CycloneV GX dev board with the 5CGXFC7D6F31C6NES and Quartus 13.1. 

I set values to the ID registers (Vendor ID, Device Id, etc..) in the QSys IP set-up GUI for the "Avalon-MM Cyclone V Hard IP for PCI Express" (altera_pcie_cv_hip_avmm). I expected to see these same values when accessing the CRA register from the NIOS2 processor. All I see is zeros. I am setting up the Hard IP as a Root Port. 

I'm still learning about PCIe, so my assumption that the CRA port should show something useful may be wrong. I would be greatful is somebody could at least confirm what I should be seeing through the CRA port. 

Thanks. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

Have you tried Quartus 13.0? This may work. 

Or you can connect a BAR directly to CRA port and control from CPU/PC. 

Good luck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I'm having the same problem. All I read from CRA (register data) is zero ... Thank you in advance for any hint.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are using VHDL, if so you might be running into this known issue: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd03062014_662.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you memory_monkey :) for your help -> it solved my problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Could you show me a example about how to operate with CRA register from the NIOS2 processor?. 

Thanks
0 Kudos