FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5952 Discussions

PCIe IO BAR's limited to "Legacy Endpoints"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am looking to define an EP with a BAR defined as IO instead of memory inorder to test the IO / CNFG PCI ordering rules .  

I thought it would be as easy as going into an existing design and re-defining the BAR type ... It appears the IO BAR type is only supported by "Legacy Endpoints" . 

Does anyone know why this is or how to get around it ? 

Thanks, Bob.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

IO style endpoints aren't really supported in PCIe. They only exist so that legacy PCI cards can be attached via a PCIe to PCI bridge. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out they don't work. I wouldn't be upset about it either. It's basically legacy garbage that should be ignored in a modern design.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

IO style endpoints aren't really supported in PCIe. They only exist so that legacy PCI cards can be attached via a PCIe to PCI bridge. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out they don't work. I wouldn't be upset about it either. It's basically legacy garbage that should be ignored in a modern design. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks Galfonz. 

I'm not particularly interested in IO and understand the point you make but I am interested in testing ordering rules for IO and Configuration Writes / Reads per the specified rules since IO and Configuration are handled differently ... Since IO and Configuration are treated the same with respect to ordering , I thought IO would be easier to implement. 

If it is't easy to implement with the hard PCIe IP I have access to ... then I will look to the Keysight and LeCroy Exerciser cards that I have access to.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's definitely going to be easier to use something that will generate the kind of traffic you are interested in and a monitor to view what the responses are than it would be to implement something with an FPGA, hard IP or soft.