FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Problem on Linux PCI Express driver for an Avalon-MM DMA reference design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I'm Joel 

I'm trying to use the PCI Express Avalon-MM DMA reference design (https://www.altera.com/products/reference-designs/all-reference-designs/interface/ref-pciexpress-avalonmm-hp.html) but I'm having some troubles with the Linux driver. 

I'm working on an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 64 bits machine. I've already my Stratix V FPGA plugged in the PCI Express port of my computer.  

Using instructions in the literature (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an690.pdf), I used the command "sudo make" to compile the driver. When I run the "sudo ./install", I keep having the error displayed in "installation_error.png". Though I'm having that error, when typing "lsmod" I see that the module altera_dma is well loaded into the kernel.  

At this point I'm not sure about how to fix that, I know the problem is that there is no file /dev/altera_dma and because, of that I can't run the user application as depicted by "run_error.png" 

Please can you help? Do you have any idea of what might be wrong? 

Best regards
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To fix this I just modified the Device ID. It was initially 0xE003. I changed it to 0xE001 (this one is the default Altera's PCIe Reference Design Device ID). It can also be found in the SoC design when opening QSYS

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Joel, 

I am having the same problem with https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an690.pdf, pretty much the same but I am using a Cyclone V.  

I can see from the reference design specs the default device ID is the same as you mentioned above: 0xE003. Where exactly did you modify it? In any of the files for the driver/application on the host side? Did you modify it in the QSYS design? 

Kind Regards, 

Aidan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey Aidanob 

If you go to "altera_dma_cmd.h", at line 6 you'll find 

# define ALTERA_DMA_DID 0xE003. 

The Device ID registered in your operating system and the one in the driver code must match. In my case, the device ID of my Stratix V FPGA board was 0xE001 from my operating system standpoint, so I had to modify the default value specified in the driver code. To check what device ID your operating system is seeing you can try doing: 

- lspci 

- cat /proc/bus/pci/devices |grep Altera  

"lspci" should give something like: Altera Corporation Device e001 (rev01). That "e001" is your device ID 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Joel, 

I am having the same problem with https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an690.pdf, pretty much the same but I am using a Cyclone V.  

I can see from the reference design specs the default device ID is the same as you mentioned above: 0xE003. Where exactly did you modify it? In any of the files for the driver/application on the host side? Did you modify it in the QSYS design? 

Kind Regards, 

Aidan 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Joel, 

Thanks for the detailed and clear response! 

Kind Rgds, 

Aidan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Joel, 

Thank you for sharing you experience! I am encountering the same problem. The only difference is that I am using a Arria-10 Dev Board.  

I tried to follow your instruction but soon found that the output of lspci shows that I should use 0xE003 as DID. 

# lspci | grep Altera 01:00.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Altera Corporation Device e003 (rev 01)  

May I ask if there's any other step you took between changing the DID and seeing /dev/altera_dma showing up? 

Did you have to unplug/plug the FPGA, and/or reboot the host machine? 

Any suggestion is much appreciated! 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hey Aidanob 

If you go to "altera_dma_cmd.h", at line 6 you'll find 

# define ALTERA_DMA_DID 0xE003. 

The Device ID registered in your operating system and the one in the driver code must match. In my case, the device ID of my Stratix V FPGA board was 0xE001 from my operating system standpoint, so I had to modify the default value specified in the driver code. To check what device ID your operating system is seeing you can try doing: 

- lspci 

- cat /proc/bus/pci/devices |grep Altera  

"lspci" should give something like: Altera Corporation Device e001 (rev01). That "e001" is your device ID 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

I have the same issue. Is there any workaround btw?  

Best Regards
0 Kudos