FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

SOPC Custom components: memory custom component

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I am using Cyclone 3c120 board to develop some applicaitons on it. However I could not know how I will use sram on the board by using SOPC builder? 

Can anyone help me?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

*edit* Oops, yes it does have an SSRAM after all. If you plan on just connecting to the SSRAM by itself building a controller to do this should be fairly easy.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How will I implement a controller? I do not know how to create a custom component for SOPC Builder. Can you help me about where can I learn about that?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Most build SSRAM controllers using counters to time the off chip signals. That particular SSRAM supports bursting so the first step would be to check out the data sheet and figure out what type of off-chip timing will be need before designing anything. If you plan on also accessing the flash on that bus then you'll need to make your component a tri-state slave so that it can be shared behind a tristate bridge. 

In the SOPC Builder handbook is a couple of chapters about building components. In particular you want to keep an eye out for the component editor documentation and perhaps the .tcl reference as well. Last but not least you'll need to become familiar with the Avalon specification since you'll be building a component with an Avalon slave port or Avalon tri-state slave port depending on which type you choose.
0 Kudos