FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

TSE hardware design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, 

I am trying to make a Ethernet connection to the pc with a DE2-115. the design should be in hardware I don't want to use the NIOS soft core. 

does anyone have any experience about setting up an Ethernet connection using a VHDL design. 

ore can someone provide me with a working sample code/project? 

kind regards. 

JR
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think there are some examples of UDP offload. But they will still use a nios cpu for network admin (etc).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You'll hardly set up the PHY without Nios... The rest stuff can be done only in hardware.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

please have a look on my thread called "TSE by using System Console on DE2-115" ... it could answer your question.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

first of all thanx for the fast response... but is it really that hard to make a Ethernet connection without NIOS :s 

@rickfan: I will look at your post hopeful it works for me. 

but i'm still open for new suggestions...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

...is it really that hard to make a Ethernet connection without NIOS :s 

--- Quote End ---  

If you are using a PHY chip such as National's DP83848, you can set up the basic operational modes using pin configurations. The data sheet for the PHY will explain this. When configured for Auto-negotiate mode the PHY will establish an ethernet connection automatically and enable you to transfer raw data in nibble-wide format - all without software intervention. If you want anything more sophisticated than this, such as a TCP/IP stack, your best solution would be using a Nios II rather than VHDL. 

It can be a steep learning curve to implement a Nios II, but when you consider setting up TX/RX buffers, packet processing, and all else required for an IP stack, a VHDL solution would be quite a challenge, too.
0 Kudos