FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5988 Discussions

The problem about setting up the FIFO's deep

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I have a big problem when I use the DCFIFO mega function. I need to store large amounts of data to achieve the data delay function. When I use the small FIFO(deep 1024),it works well. However when I increase the deeps of FIFO, it goes bad(deep 32768).(Writing and reading are not the same ) What happened ? I am confused! Is there anyone who meets the similar prolem? I'm looking forward to your suggestions! Sincere thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ive had deep fifos, and never had a problem. You will need to post more details. 

Have you changed any other settings, like the lookahead mode?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply! 

yes, I turn on the show-ahead mode and my FIFO wide is 14bits. Did you set up any Timing Constraints for the FIFO when it gets big?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

not specifically, just make sure you have constraints on both clock domains.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you explain it in detail? I am a novice....:oops:

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have same problem.  

I use 32bit input and 8bit output FIFO, the fifo deep cannot exceed 1024 words (32768 bits).