FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Use control port for VIP (blending mixer / test pattern generator)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

I have a problem with using the control port for the test pattern generator and the alpha blending mixer. 

I can write to the registers as defined in the VIP User Guide with IOWR/RD, but with no effect to my VGA screen. 

I don't understand the pseudo code completely (page 152 from User Guide) 

go = 0; while (true) { status = 0; while (go != 1 ) wait(); read_control(); //Copies control to internal register status = 1; do once for progressive output or twice for interlaced output { send_control_packet(); send_image_data_header(); output_test_pattern (); } }  

especialy the last five lines. The other lines I do understand, that is setting / unsetting the registers, but the last five? Where do I get the data header from? 

Can somebody explain it to me? Or has an link to some C source code? 

P.S. 

I have attached the test pattern generator directly to the vga controller (with timing adapter), with NIOS processor > uC/OSII. 

Thank you
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Problem partically solved by using the macro IOWR instead of IOWR_16DIRECT. 

I thought I had to use the 16DIRECT version because the registers are 16-bit wide. 

But I think I was wrong...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey Johnny321, 

have you found a solution for controlling the blending mixer? i have no idea how to do this. Can you recommend any code snippets?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The VIP cores and the standard cores don't work together fine. (I did not get in working). But what's you're problem exactly?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My first idea was to control the alpha blending mixer resp. the scaler without the help of the niosII but it seems not comfortable. now I'm trying to implement the system with ne nios core but i haven't found any infomation about the VIP c++ API's. do you know where i find an overview?

0 Kudos