FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Why is there no output in PLL simulation?

JLIU45
Novice

I instantiated a PLL in my design, refclk is 50MHz, 3 output clocks are 500MHz, 50MHz, 25MHz respectivily, and I enalbe dynamic phase shift option. But only the output 500MHz is valid, the other two output is x in the simulation. I just used the auto-generated pll simulation test bench. My quartus software is 16.1, and the device is cyclone V 5CEFA4.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Could you please refer the below reference design for Dynamic phase shift with Intel PLL IP core

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/others/literature/an/pll_dynamicphaseshift.qar

Please let me know, how it works to you.

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
JLIU45
Novice
Hi, Vicky: thanks for your reply, I checked the design and understand that. However, my confusing is that the simulation cannot work, and I used the auto-generated simulation testbench. below is my simulation waveform, FYI, only outclk_0(500MHz) is valid, the other two is x. BR Liu Jianjun
0 Kudos
AndyN
New Contributor I

What timeunit are you simulating with? PLL simulations can be really tricky about wanting a very fine grained simulation so I'd recommend trying with timeunit 1fs/1fs; and see if you get any different results.

0 Kudos
JLIU45
Novice
Hi, Andy: thanks of ryour reply! I tried 1fs timeunit, still the same result. It's puzzling that only 500MHz output can be seen, and the other two output clocks are x. I also simulated the PLL without dynamic phase shift function, it works well. Did you run the auto-generated simulation testbench? BR Liu Jianjun
0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Please follow the steps as mentioned in below application notes,

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/mcn1424769382940.html#mcn1424940703121

please let me know, how it works for you.

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
JLIU45
Novice
Hi, Vicky: I think I've solved the problem, just because this PLL needs a POR, however, this operation is not necessary for other PLLs, anyway I can run the simulation, thank you very much. BR Liu Jianjun
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Liu Jianjun,

Glad you resolved it.

Thanks,

Vicky

0 Kudos