FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

help about sopc

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello everyone . I am a new. hehe i want to know whether the "connections" column is a thing that dont need we care . the system connect themelves .. I just want copy a exist system of project . so i want everything is same with it . but when the connection , it is so difficult to make them same . :confused:

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The connections panel is what drives the switch fabric generation. In the panel you'll be able to make the following connections: 

Master connecting to slave (memory mapped) 

Source connecting to sink (streaming) 

If you don't make the connection in the patch panel then no logic will be generated to create the data path between the master/slave or source/sink. Sometimes this is what you would want in you know that you don't need particular data paths (if you connect every possible connection you'll end up creating a lot of arbitration and multiplexer logic). Here are the SOPC Builder docs to learn more: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/quartus2/lit-qts-sopc.jsp
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

whether I can understand this for that "only you need to connect the date flow as you want , then you can care the connection column . other case , you can dont care about it"? 

thanks a lot!! 

Jennysun:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's correct, for example if you have Nios II (2 masters), a DMA (2 masters), and some DDR SDRAM in your design. If you only want the DMA to be able to transfer data to/from DDR SDRAM then you don't connect the Nios II masters to that memory. The more masters you connect to Avalon slaves the larger the switch fabric becomes and the speed (fmax) may decrease as well. As a result this means that you should only connect masters to slaves where you really do need them. 

BTW if you want some additional help, the Nios forum is full of SOPC Builder users.
0 Kudos