FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6352 Discussions

link Nios and FPGA via FIFO

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm using Quartus 9 on a stratix II FPGA. On the system i have a nios 2 processor. 

I'd like to have a FIFO from the FPGA to the Nios, but using SOPC builder, i don't see an "easy way" to do this.  

Is there any IP that allow what i'm searching for ? Or should do i have to create a system manually ? 

Thx in advance :)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf shows: "Avalon-ST Single-Clock and Dual-Clock FIFO Cores" but I think this is for the latest Quartus. 

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes i think it could work, but i need to have an avalon streaming source on the FPGA side, and i don't see how to get it, unless i have to create it myself

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Export the FPGA side interface and connect the wires as needed in your top-level.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know it is possible with Qsys, but in this case, the system is made with SOPC builder, and i don't know how to export some connections on the FPGA side :/

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry about that - yes, you're right SOPC Builder won't let you do that. Skimming the SOPC Builder User Guide (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_sopc_builder.pdf) it looks like the expectation is that you would then implement a dummy component to convert the Avalon-ST to a Conduit in order to get the wires in the top level export. While it's a trivial module to implement, it's certainly inconvenient.  

So the answer to your original question is: no, there is no existing SOPC Builder IP and yes you need to create your own component to do this. 

(or, update your tools to Qsys)
0 Kudos