FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5953 Discussions

link Nios and FPGA via FIFO

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm using Quartus 9 on a stratix II FPGA. On the system i have a nios 2 processor. 

I'd like to have a FIFO from the FPGA to the Nios, but using SOPC builder, i don't see an "easy way" to do this.  

Is there any IP that allow what i'm searching for ? Or should do i have to create a system manually ? 

Thx in advance :)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf shows: "Avalon-ST Single-Clock and Dual-Clock FIFO Cores" but I think this is for the latest Quartus. 

Hope that helps.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes i think it could work, but i need to have an avalon streaming source on the FPGA side, and i don't see how to get it, unless i have to create it myself

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Export the FPGA side interface and connect the wires as needed in your top-level.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know it is possible with Qsys, but in this case, the system is made with SOPC builder, and i don't know how to export some connections on the FPGA side :/

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry about that - yes, you're right SOPC Builder won't let you do that. Skimming the SOPC Builder User Guide (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_sopc_builder.pdf) it looks like the expectation is that you would then implement a dummy component to convert the Avalon-ST to a Conduit in order to get the wires in the top level export. While it's a trivial module to implement, it's certainly inconvenient.  

So the answer to your original question is: no, there is no existing SOPC Builder IP and yes you need to create your own component to do this. 

(or, update your tools to Qsys)