FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

long simulation times when simulating UniPHY-based DDR3 in skip calibration mode

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, all 

According to this article at emi_debug.pdf on page 8: Table 1–1. Typical Simulation Times Using UniPHY IP, skip calibration should take only 3 minutes. My DDR3 UniPHY design is very basic with 8 bits read and write operation. I use generated example design for simulation. For my case, I choose skip calibration mode and also disable the EMIF On-Chip Debug Toolkit in Diagnostics tab of the UniPHY-based controller MegaWizard GUI. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10311&stc=1  

Figure below is ModelSim starter 10.3c waveform simulation. To get overall complete simulation (110us), my computer took about more than 30 minutes to complete it. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10312&stc=1  

May I know how to reduce the simulation time as stated in 3 minutes? Any example design file i need to reedit? 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

WHat is the computer spec? 

What version of modelsim is it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My computer spec is as below: 

1. RAM : 8GB 

2. Processor: Inter(R) Core (TM) i5-4210M CPU @ 2.6GHz 2.6GHz 

3. Window: 64 bit OS Windows 7 Professional SP1 

For modelSim model, I use ModelSim Altera Starter edition 10.3c
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Tricky 

My computer spec is as below: 

1. RAM : 8GB 

2. Processor: Inter(R) Core (TM) i5-4210M CPU @ 2.6GHz 2.6GHz 

3. Window: 64 bit OS Windows 7 Professional SP1 

my Version of modelsim is: ModelSim ALTERA STARTER EDITION 10.3c
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The altera starter edition has the slowest simulation speed. For faster simulations, you need to purchase a better licence. The more you pay, the faster the simulation.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Tricky 

Thanks for reply. 

--- Quote Start ---  

The altera starter edition has the slowest simulation speed. For faster simulations, you need to purchase a better licence. The more you pay, the faster the simulation. 

--- Quote End ---  

May I know what is the better licence version to boost the simulation speed? May I know where to see the license price? 

Here's my findings. 

By referring to the link below:  

https://www.altera.com/products/design-software/model---simulation/modelsim-altera-software.html 

I found out that payable ModelSim-Altera Edition Software, it only improve 33 % faster simulation performance than ModelSim®-Altera® Starter Edition software.  

Also, may i know what is line limitations mean? For ModelSim Altera Starter pack, the line limitation only up to 10k.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That is just the ALtera Edition. You will get Speed up from a full Questa Licence. But this will be a few thousand $. 

You need to speak to your distrubuter about licencing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Also, may i know what is line limitations mean? For ModelSim Altera Starter pack, the line limitation only up to 10k. 

--- Quote End ---  

It means after 10000 lines of code, the simulation goes very very slow.
0 Kudos