FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5744 Discussions

long simulation times when simulating UniPHY-based DDR3 in skip calibration mode

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, all 

According to this article at emi_debug.pdf on page 8: Table 1–1. Typical Simulation Times Using UniPHY IP, skip calibration should take only 3 minutes. My DDR3 UniPHY design is very basic with 8 bits read and write operation. I use generated example design for simulation. For my case, I choose skip calibration mode and also disable the EMIF On-Chip Debug Toolkit in Diagnostics tab of the UniPHY-based controller MegaWizard GUI. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10311&stc=1  

Figure below is ModelSim starter 10.3c waveform simulation. To get overall complete simulation (110us), my computer took about more than 30 minutes to complete it. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10312&stc=1  

May I know how to reduce the simulation time as stated in 3 minutes? Any example design file i need to reedit? 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

WHat is the computer spec? 

What version of modelsim is it?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

My computer spec is as below: 

1. RAM : 8GB 

2. Processor: Inter(R) Core (TM) i5-4210M CPU @ 2.6GHz 2.6GHz 

3. Window: 64 bit OS Windows 7 Professional SP1 

For modelSim model, I use ModelSim Altera Starter edition 10.3c
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, Tricky 

My computer spec is as below: 

1. RAM : 8GB 

2. Processor: Inter(R) Core (TM) i5-4210M CPU @ 2.6GHz 2.6GHz 

3. Window: 64 bit OS Windows 7 Professional SP1 

my Version of modelsim is: ModelSim ALTERA STARTER EDITION 10.3c
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

The altera starter edition has the slowest simulation speed. For faster simulations, you need to purchase a better licence. The more you pay, the faster the simulation.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, Tricky 

Thanks for reply. 

--- Quote Start ---  

The altera starter edition has the slowest simulation speed. For faster simulations, you need to purchase a better licence. The more you pay, the faster the simulation. 

--- Quote End ---  

May I know what is the better licence version to boost the simulation speed? May I know where to see the license price? 

Here's my findings. 

By referring to the link below:  

https://www.altera.com/products/design-software/model---simulation/modelsim-altera-software.html 

I found out that payable ModelSim-Altera Edition Software, it only improve 33 % faster simulation performance than ModelSim®-Altera® Starter Edition software.  

Also, may i know what is line limitations mean? For ModelSim Altera Starter pack, the line limitation only up to 10k.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

That is just the ALtera Edition. You will get Speed up from a full Questa Licence. But this will be a few thousand $. 

You need to speak to your distrubuter about licencing.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Also, may i know what is line limitations mean? For ModelSim Altera Starter pack, the line limitation only up to 10k. 

--- Quote End ---  

It means after 10000 lines of code, the simulation goes very very slow.