FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

triple speed ethernet: transmit error signal not supported by phy

HTork
Beginner

Hi!
I'm trying to use Triple Speed ethernet with the TLK100 phy.

TLK100 does not have the MII TX_ER signal that the IP needs.

"m_tx_err_from_the_triple_speed_ethernet_0 (m_tx_err_from_the_triple_speed_ethernet_0)"

According to Media-independent interface - Wikipedia

the signal is optional.

Can I use the TLK100 with the triple speed ethernet core by just not connecting this signal, or do i need an ethernet phy component that has this signal?

Kind regards,

Hans

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

I checked out the wiki page and I can see below description of this mii_tx_error signal usage.

• Transmit error may be raised for one or more clock periods during frame transmission to request the PHY to deliberately corrupt the frame in some visible way that precludes it from being received as valid. This may be used to abort a frame when some problem is detected after transmission has already started. The MAC may omit the signal if it has no use for this functionality, in which case the signal should be tied low for the PHY.

This signal is optional in the sense that it depends on whether the Rx MAC support and will analyze this signal or not

• So the dependency is not on the Tx PHY device but is on the Rx MAC device support capability to tell whether you should care for this signal feature or not

Personally I feel this is good feature and you should use a PHY device that support it.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos