FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

vlan tagging in ethermac

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Folks, 

is there any support of vlantagging on the tx-side of the Altera tse-mac, in the featurelist of the userguide (page 8, http://www.altera.co.jp/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf) i find the support of vlan and stacked vlan.  

in the description of the status/config register I only find registers and signals for VLAN on rx side.  

Is there any possibility to transmit vlan-tagged frames with ethermac. 

best regards 

mooresstudent
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Yes, you can transmit VLAN frames with TSE MAC. However, there is no "automatic VLAN tag insertion" feature. You have to set your frame up properly (with VLAN tag included) and then ask the TSE to send it. 

Regards, 

Franck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply Franck, it is too simple ;). I am just a ethernetnoob...  

Thread can be closed
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How do you take care of receiving VLAN tagged messages, Franck? Did you modify the driver file (ins_tse_mac.c) to strip the tags before sending the ethernet packet to the nicheStack or added an interface to the tse[iface]? Is there an easy way to do this? 

-ravi23
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ravi23, 

I didn't use the nicheStack nor any IP stack. I used the TSE directly in my logic design so I had no problem handling those VLAN frames..... 

I can't help you with nicheStack, sorry.... 

Franck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Franck, 

Thanks for your reply. I have another thread in the uC/OS section that may be of interest to you. This is regarding the changes I am making to the drivers / Nichestack for my application.  

-Ravi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi ravi23, 

I didn't use the nicheStack nor any IP stack. I used the TSE directly in my logic design so I had no problem handling those VLAN frames..... 

I can't help you with nicheStack, sorry.... 

Franck. 

--- Quote End ---  

How did you manage to detect VLAN from the rx_frm_type[3:0] signal in your logic? :confused: 

I have not found the trick! :( (using full TSE w/FIFO). Want to connect my eth_mon.v to these signals for realtime broadcast filtering and VLAN monitoring. 

Thank for any tips! 

mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the magawizard, make sur you have enabled "VLAN detecttion".  

If you are using the small MAC variation, you don't have this option. 

I don't use rx_frm_type in my design because I'm using the small MAC. 

However, you can check for the VLAN TAG while receiving the frames to see if it's VLAN.... 

Franck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

In the magawizard, make sur you have enabled "VLAN detecttion".  

If you are using the small MAC variation, you don't have this option. 

I don't use rx_frm_type in my design because I'm using the small MAC. 

However, you can check for the VLAN TAG while receiving the frames to see if it's VLAN.... 

Franck. 

--- Quote End ---  

Franck, Thanks for the reply.... 

I do have this enabled (thank you). And while I can monitor the VLAN status, the issue is that I need to monitor real-time, frame-by-frame, the VLAN, Broadcast, Multicast and unicast Frame Type status signals provided by the MAC so that I may 'handle' or process them as appropriate for my application. My MAC implementation provides these signals rx_frm_type[3:0] and clearly describes them in the documentation. However a module I have created to monitor incoming packets so far I have been unable 'connect' to these signals. How and What must I do to enable access to these signals (provided by the TSE)? 

Thanks for your input, 

mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Folks, 

is there any support of vlantagging on the tx-side of the Altera tse-mac, in the featurelist of the userguide (page 8, http://www.cusabio.com/pro_7.html) i find the support of vlan and stacked vlan.  

in the description of the status/config register I only find registers and signals for VLAN on rx side.  

Is there any possibility to transmit vlan-tagged frames with ethermac. 

best regards 

mooresstudent 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello! I have another thread in the uC/OS section that may be of interest to you. This is regarding the changes I am making to the drivers / Nichestack for my application.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

....I looked at your other posts - but could not tell which one you are referring to! ??

0 Kudos