FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

APEX fpga

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I bought a Nios Excalibur board (second user). I thought I could use quartus II 10.0 web edition to run it but Apex FPGA is not an option when you open a new project. Is there any way I can play with this discontinued board or is it now just scrap:cry::cry:

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use 9.0 or 9.1. They support legacy FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

Thanks for that. Will that be downloadable on the same machine as my 10.0 install?? 

Many thanks Graeme
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, you can install multiple version of Quartus II on the same machine.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your help and happy new year. 

Cheers Graeme.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I installed 9.1 but it doesn't support APEX either. I then installed 7.2 and it does. Tried a test project compiled it and went to program it only to find my USB blaster is no longer recognised by any version now. Windows recognises it when I plug in the usb cable and it is shown as working on the control panel. When I go to the programmer it only gives the option of eithernet connection. 

Any Ideas :confused: 

Cheers Graeme
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try update [roll back] USB-Blaster driver to 7.2.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Sorry don't quite understand what you mean. The first thing I tried was to uninstall the driver then booted down/up reinstalled driver all went well with no errors and the driver again being recognised by windows but still all versions of quartas doesn't recognise it. I seem to remrmber having this problem before. It was easy then because I only needed the most up to date version and could just reinstall and all was good but I now need both so can't start a fresh.:cry: 

Thanks again for your help Graeme.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I have come across with USB-Blaster problem on Windows7 only. Can you open an SR with Altera?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Re installed the stand alone programmer. It now works and so does 10.0 again. 7.2 still has the same problem but , if I load it then rerun the stand alone programmer and ask it to recognise usb blaster, close it then use the embedded 7.2 programmer it works after a few interogations?? I have sucessfully programmed the board using this method and once it works it continues to work until I shut down the program so no big deal. 

Thanks again Graeme.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's great. One thing to point out. The third-party USB-Blaster, for example, Terasic USB-Blaster has occasionally conflicts with other USB devices. I have encountered such scenarios, which I need to unplug everything, then replug the USB-Blaster only.

0 Kudos