FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Cyclone V QSys-design only working when set as top-level entity

Fjato
Beginner

Hi there,

I am currently experimenting with a Cyclone V SoC (DE10-Nano-SoC Kit). Therefore, I implemented parts of the design with the help of QSys including Clock, HPS, PIO, SPI and JTAG UART, generated the HDL code and a .bsf file (block symbol file) and imported the files in qartus.

a) When setting the corresponding .qip-file (Qartus Prime IP file) as top-level entity, everything works fine.

b) When setting up a Block Diagram / Schematic file as top-level entity which includes the above-mentioned QSys-Design as block symbol, the fitter shows the following error.

Error: The auto-constraining script was not able to detect any instance for core < hps_sdram_p0 > 

Error: Verify the following: 

Error: The core < hps_sdram_p0 > is instantiated within another component (wrapper) 

Error: The core is not the top-level of the project 

Error: The memory interface pins are exported to the top-level of the project 

What am I doing wrong? Please let me know, if further information is required.

Thanks and best regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Fabian,

Is your project name same as bdf file name?

1. Qsys will generate bsf which can be used in bdf and set as top level file,.qip file need to be included in Quartus.
  2. The .qip file lists the files necessary for compilation and provides the Quartus II software with the required information about your Qsys system.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
Fjato
Beginner

Hi,

thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, the name of the project is identical to the .bdf-file name, but as mentioned above:

• it does not work this way, meaning, if the .bdf-file (projectname.bdf) is the top-level entity of the project which includes .bsf-file (socsystem.bsf)
  • it works, if the .bsf-file (socsystem.bsf) is the top-level entity of the project

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

We can to include .bsf in bdf file and set dbf as top level file. bsf file name should not be same as bdf.

Can you attach the project ?

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
Fjato
Beginner

Hi and thanks for your reply.

In the mean time, I found the solution for my problem. I did export "memory" and "hps_io" within qsys, but I did not connect any ports to it in quartus. After correcting this, the compilation runs perfectly. Furthermore, I switched from the block symbol design to textual design, even if it was not the root cause of my problem, but it feels more convenient.

However, thanks for your hep and best regards.

0 Kudos