FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

How can I build the Angstrom Linux kernel and root file system for a CycloneV SoC device?

LAthu
Beginner

I have to generate a Linux Angstrom image and root file system (rootfs) for the CycloneV SoC device. I have a hardware background and do not have much familiarity with Linux. I was following the Rocket Board guidelines

(https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GSRDCompilingLinux) on building the image and rootfs but it does not complete. When I try to run “bitbake gsrd-console-image”, it throws out an error message given in bold below :

“ERROR: ExpansionError during parsing /home/lakshman/angstrom-build/layers/meta-altera-refdes/recipes-altera/dmaxfer-altera/dmaxfer-altera_1.0.bb

Traceback (most recent call last):

bb.data_smart.ExpansionError: Failure expanding variable SRCPV, expression was ${@bb.fetch2.get_srcrev(d)} which triggered exception FetchError: Fetcher failure: Unable to resolve 'socfpga-19.1-dev' in upstream git repository in git ls-remote output for github.com/altera-opensource/linux-refdesigns.git

I am using Ubunto 14.04.5 64-bit to do the build. I think I have installed the packages I need.

I have been browsing the internet for solutions for the past two weeks with no real success. There are some that say that the git repositories might not be available any more. I am concerned that I will not be able to build the image and rootfs for our system. 

Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I found a similar article discussing the same issue:

https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/setup-scripts/issues/52

The answer seem to be that:

AUTOREV was somehow causing the problem, so in meta-linaro/recipes-kernel/linux/linaro-kernel.inc I replaced

SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"

with

SRCREV = "b7a37b8b4f219e8b39223157ac311f9e3dc384ec"

Regards.

0 Kudos
SDabh
Novice

@LAthu​  and @EberL_Intel​ I am also facing the same problem and I have tried solution suggested by you. But it didn't work for me. Please let me know if you find any solution.

Thank you,

Sunil

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel
0 Kudos
APaci1
Novice

Hello! I'm a newbie of SoC System. I'm searching how to make complete chain from Quartus-QSYS project up to create image for SD card. I have a De0NanoSOc ATLAS (but goal is to make something running on our PCB with CycloneV, designed on the same base.

I enconutered great problems due to confusion, bad links and bunch of info about Angstrom distro.

1) I attempt to follow rocketboard guidelines for Atlas Deo, but there isn't nothing on the rockboard site, too obsolete

So, I attempt to follow Soc CyclonV altera guidelines, but when it clone the "schnitzeltony" angstrom from GIT it fails, I try to replace link with "pabigot" one, that is present, but there are many errors that are not easy understand for me

2)Only updated angstrom running links I found on Arria10 SoC. On Rocketboard istructions, there is a note that Arria10 can be replaced by Cyclon5 on this distro. Ok , all runs but when I launch last command to do the final image, I receive a fatal error "NO VALID MACHINE CyCLONE5) !!!!!!!!!!!

3) I found a third way: Angstrom 2013.12 from GITHUB (robertofm),

But first error occours: there is only angstrom 2012.12 version. I try to change something to goes, but too many errors occours again.

Well, I READ THAT INTEL (ALTERA) SAYS angstrom is officially supported and checked... where I can download a valid angstrom chain to obtain booting SD image??? TODAY I DONT' FIND A GOOD WAY!!!!

(I use quartus 18.1 std: I ported DeoNanoSoc under Q18 and I compiled succesfully. Then I obtained Preloader and Uboot. BUt when I search for angstrom distro, disaster occours. I have a Oracle VM with Ubuntu 14.06 to do linux operations)

PLEASE HELP US!!!!

I'M ATTEMPTING ANY THING

0 Kudos