FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

How to generate a full 16MB size image?

Lilian_61
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am using quartus 19.1 Convert Programming File tool to generate .jic and rpd image by using cof.

Current the generated image size is 15MB, and due to project requirement, I need to generate a full 16MB size image. Is there some earlier way to fill the empty part with all "1" to build a full 16M image?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Lilian_61
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I have fixed this problem.

Actually I didn't pay attention to the .jic file, I focused on the .rpd file.

And I just figure out a method,that is I build a 16byte dummy hex file, which is all ’1‘, and add it at offset 0x0FFFFF0,then I could get a full 16MB size .rpd image.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 1.55.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-25 at 1.55.39 PM.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The JIC file generated should cover fully on the flash that you are using. May I know if your using different flash then the one you selected?

0 Kudos
Lilian_61
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I have fixed this problem.

Actually I didn't pay attention to the .jic file, I focused on the .rpd file.

And I just figure out a method,that is I build a 16byte dummy hex file, which is all ’1‘, and add it at offset 0x0FFFFF0,then I could get a full 16MB size .rpd image.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 1.55.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-25 at 1.55.39 PM.png

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The rpd file will only contain the FPGA bitstream data and does not care about the rest of the data. The reason is that if you are using QSPI flash, usually it is erase to 1 and there is no need to write a 1 into the flash.

0 Kudos
Lilian_61
New Contributor I

Yes, I know that. This is from our project requirement,the image size should be 16M,so I have to fill up with unnecessary ‘1’.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Okay. You will need to manally pad it with 1,

0 Kudos