FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

How to get USB Blaster II under Programmer in Quartus Prime Lite?

NSook
Beginner

I'm currently trying to set up the USB Blaster II for a Max 10 10M08 Evaluation Kit using Ubuntu ran on Virtualbox. On terminal, it says that the USB blaster is connected (using lsusb). I've also created the file named usbblaster.rules. Not sure as to why it's not showing up as hardware in the programmer menu of Quartus Prime Lite when I try to add it. Any ideas or any thing I could do to make this work? Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi NSook,

Can you check your JTAG connection first whether it is working or not? (jtagconfig)

open Command Prompt ---> go to Quartus directory <Quartus installation directory>intelFPGA\18.1\quartus\bin64> ---> run jtagconfig

jtagconfig.JPG

And,  show me the screenshot of your jtagconfig ?

Cheers

0 Kudos
NSook
Beginner

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 7.47.40 AM.png

When I initially typed lsusb. it initially showed that the USB-Blaster was connected. When I typed jtagconfig, the blue light on the USB-Blaster turned off and then on again. Not sure if my USB-Blaster is working properly as I saw yesterday that after a while, it was disconnected from the USB bus. When I remove and reinsert the cable, it appears in the bus again.

0 Kudos
NSook
Beginner

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 8.10.49 AM.png

This is the output when I run dmesg -w. The first box indicates when the device is initially connected. The second box is the output when jtagconfig is run. Not sure why it is disconnecting.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi NSook,

Have you change the permissions on the the device files? If not, you can try this step:

I hope this will help you.

Thanks

0 Kudos
NSook
Beginner

Yes I did that and it still doesn't work. Thanks for the assistance so far.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Please allow me some time to look in to this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
NSook
Beginner
0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi NSook,

can you try this?

$ cd /etc/udev/rules.d

$ sudo gedit 51-usbblaster.rules

(Copy below text & paste & save it.)

# USB-Blaster

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6001", MODE="0666"

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6002", MODE="0666"

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6003", MODE="0666"

# USB-Blaster II

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6010", MODE="0666"

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6810", MODE="0666"

$ cd /etc/udev/rules.d

$ sudo gedit 92-usbblaster.rules

(Copy below text & paste & save it.)

# USB-Blaster

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", MODE="0666"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6002", MODE="0666"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6003", MODE="0666"

# USB-Blaster II

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6010", MODE="0666"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="09fb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6810", MODE="0666"

0 Kudos