FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Intel MAX 10 FPGA short issue

SLeon24
Beginner

Hello,

13 units FPGA are found short from C7,D7 & D8 to C8 & D6. Date code is within range of 1925-2001. MPN is 10M16DAF256C8G. End Application is USB streamline Instruments. We would like to request for FA support for 3 units.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
yoichiK_intel
Employee

C7,D7 & D8 are VCCIO8 IO bank power rail.   C8 & D6 are GND.   Those pins are not supposed to be shorted.

I agree to proceed FA for those devices.

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Hi ,

To understand more about the issue, can you please share with me some information?

1. What is the failure rate? What is the failure rate vs. tested sample? Example: 2 out of 100 units.
2. When did the failure happen? How did you discover the failure?
3. How did you determine the failure? Please elaborate the procedures.
4. Does the failure unit ever working before failure?
5. Did they violate solder re-flow temperature profiles, moisture sensitivity? Please provide the re-flow temperature profiles.
6. Did you swap the failure device to a known good board? Is the failure following the device or board?
7. Is this a prototype build or volume/mass production?

Thanks!

Please consider of confidential information you might share. If you need to private message, please do let me know.

0 Kudos
SLeon24
Beginner

Hi,

Please refer below for the information requested.

1. What is the failure rate? What is the failure rate vs. tested sample? Example: 2 out of 100 units.

13 out of 1000+

2. When did the failure happen? How did you discover the failure?

All are line rejects on board level.

3. How did you determine the failure? Please elaborate the procedures.

1. Measure impedance on board and found short from 3.3V to DCOM.
  2. Remove component on the trace from 3.3V to DCOM one by one to narrow down the issue.
  3. After removed inductor FL19, no short from 3.3V to FL19. (FL19 is connected to 3.3V and FPGA C7, D7, D8, E8),
  4. Then, both 5DX and 2DX performed on FPGA and no visible short found.
  5. Measure impedance from C7, D7, D8, E8 to C8 and D6. (FPGA C8 and D6 are connected to DCOM)
  6. Remove FPGA from board and measure impedance on board and FPGA, no short was found on board. Short was happened on FPGA.

4. Does the failure unit ever working before failure?

We did not perform screening for raw FPGA

5. Did they violate solder re-flow temperature profiles, moisture sensitivity? Please provide the re-flow temperature profiles.

TBA

6. Did you swap the failure device to a known good board? Is the failure following the device or board?

Swapping performed on 2 boards, both are working after swap with good FPGA. The failure follows the device.

7. Is this a prototype build or volume/mass production?

Mass production

I will upload the re-flow temperature profiles and board schematic once I have it. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SLeon24
Beginner

Hi,

I attach schematic of FPGA (U6) for your reference. I do not manage to get the re-flow temperature profiles at this moment.

Please advise can we proceed for FA? If yes, may I have the shipping address?

Thanks.

Shwu Ching

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you Shwu Ching for all the details provided.

From the statement given, I can get some picture of the issue.

I can see it might be because of electrical overstress (EOS) issue. Power pins short to ground is one of the symptoms of EOS.
In order to avoid electrical damage, the device should always be handled in a static-free environment and all the input signals should remain within specified limits, as recommended in the PSG Data Book and associated application notes, at all times.

For your information, EOS is fall under mishandling issue. 

Regards,
Wani

0 Kudos
SLeon24
Beginner

Hi,

We are handling products in ESD safe environment and all this failure are fail at incoming board pretest failure. We have been tested and shipped around more than 1k boards and do not have issues and only seeing this batch failures recently.

Thanks,

Shwu Ching

0 Kudos
SLeon24
Beginner

Hi Wani,

Please help to advise can we ship parts for FA as we encountered this issue (13 parts failed) for recent batches only.

Thanks,

Shwu Ching

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Shwu Ching,

I sent you an email regarding FA process. I need some confidential info to proceed.

Wani

0 Kudos